We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Foolish question about toiletries...

Britannia Beach, BC
9 posts
Save Topic
Foolish question about toiletries...

I hate checking in luggage and am planning on arriving with only one small carry-on bag. With the airline security restrictions prohibiting many liquids, gels & creams, that will mean that I will have to purchase sunscreen, bugspray, shampoo, make-up, etc on arrival in Phnom Penh. Having never been there I am unsure of how easy/practical this might be....? Oh, I feel so ignorant to ask but: is there a 7-eleven on every corner across from a major big box pharmacy?? or will I be needing to hit several small market stalls? Or a combination of all of the above? And, ladies: how easy is it for a pasty-white Canadian girl to find appropriate make-up in Cambodia?

Phnom Penh
Level Contributor
282 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Foolish question about toiletries...

there are pharmacies and shops, and in every market there are stores that have everything you need. we are not in the dark ages though not having seven 11, starbucks, macdonalds one would think so, but we kind of like it that way. more modern stores with things you might prefer are lucky supermarket, pencil supermarket, sorya center, paragon, starmart at the caltex stations, and U care pharmacy. Plumbing isnt what it is in the west. dont overload toilets with paper. Actually the west is very uncivilized in this respect as only toilet paper is available in most restrooms. He we have sprayers for cleaning and the paper is actually used to dry off. I guess one could ask if you got sh*t on your face would you only use a dry tissue to clean it off. you will find that some things that carry a high price tag in the west is very cheap here. 50 cents for a toothbrush I think is a steal.

Britannia Beach, BC
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Foolish question about toiletries...

Thanks JimCA2 for your response! You've been most helpful!! Please know that I wasn't intending to come across as an advocate for convenience stores or the like...I was just hoping to get an idea of the lay of the land. When I finally arrive in PP, I know I'll be needing a shower and was hoping to get an idea of the best way to stock up on supplies. Your advice is extremely helpful and greatly appreciated!

sydney
Level Contributor
177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Foolish question about toiletries...

Yes you can buy everything you need here in PP i think Sorya shopping mall near central market is well stocked with what you might need although being male i have very little knowledge about make-up and what's available but all the other articles should be easily found.

Britannia Beach, BC
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Foolish question about toiletries...

Thank you, Magoo42!

NJ-NY
Level Contributor
86 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Foolish question about toiletries...

If you are in major city (Phenom Penh or Siem Reap) or resort, I say you'll be OK...but it becomes almost primative very quickly and one can travel many miles before a gas station, convenience store can be found. Forget makeup, it's too hot and sweats off. Cannot stress enough to bring lots of DEET and normal bug repellant. Nothing worse than needing it and not having it. Didn't see ANY makeup in Camodia, not even at the airports (Phenom Penh or Siem Reap). Market stalls have scarves, shoes, crafts, food -- not makeup. Depending upon where you stay, you may or may not be provided soap and shampoo. The airport is so tiny, don't worry and just check your bag. There were a total of 7 smaller planes (~40 passengers each) in Siem Reap.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Foolish question about toiletries...

I visited Phnom Penh before the liquids in carry-ons restrictions, and I just had one carry-on bag for 2 weeks in Cambodia & Laos. I did not notice any make-up in Cambodia either(with the exception f some imitation Korean brand stuff which is very poor quality), and there's probably no way you're going to find anything with DEET in it. I'd opt for a check-in bag and put all your make-up and other stuff in it. You don't want to waste time shopping for essentials when you could be out seeing stuff. Sorya Market (as another poster said) has a nice supermarket that carries toiletries, etc.

Phnom Penh
Level Contributor
282 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Foolish question about toiletries...

you can buy make up here. and tons of it. look at any Khmer beauty queen , karaoke star, or any wedding party. oh yes they have make up here. deet, off, other repellants available at Pencil, lucky, U care pharmacy etc.

8. Re: Foolish question about toiletries...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, August 19, 2009