We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Phnom Penh to HCM City

melbourne
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Bus from Phnom Penh to HCM City

Any information please on buses from Phnom Penh to HCM City where you don't have to change buses at the border?

sydney
Level Contributor
177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from Phnom Penh to HCM City

Hi denismack, I am afraid you have no choice but to change buses at the border but you can buy a ticket for the whole journey you just get to the border go through immigration and embark on another bus run by the same company to HCMC. It's well organised and hassle free transfer except for the immigration part, that can be time consuming at certain hours of the day and you will need a Visa prior to entering Vietnam. They can be easily obtained through your hotel or embassy in PP, they usually take a day to process one at a cost of USD$30. The buses are fairly comfortable and reliable these days so you want have to much to worry about. Have a good trip mate.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from Phnom Penh to HCM City

Magoo42 must know what he is talking about, but I must say that we had a different experience just a year ago (last September). True, we had to get OUT of the bus and walk through the check-point room where our passports were stamped (we were doing the trip in reverse, by the way, from HCMC to PP); but while we did this, the bus drove through the checkpoint to the exit door of our building, and waited for us there. During this process the border patrol did a VERY cursory check of the baggage in the bus (not ours; we travel light and took everything in the checkpoint room with us). We could see it all happening as we waited in the queue.

The whole process -- until we were back in our SAME seats in the SAME bus -- took somewhere between ten and twenty minutes. Very easy.

The bus was a Cambodian company (yellow or orange colour, the office in HCMC was in Pham Ngu Lao), and it was slightly more expensive than the Vietmanese lines who traverse the same route and DO require you to change buses. They quoted us either $5, $6 or $7 per person (depending on which agent you asked), including free breakfast. The Cambodian line charged us $10, and no free breakfast. But not having to wait -- and we heard that the wait can sometines be two or three hours -- was worth paying the extra for. We were in PP by lunch time!

Maybe that company has gone belly-up and the service is no longer available; but do inquire first, before you commit, will you?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
277 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from Phnom Penh to HCM City

I am also very interested in about hearing more about these orange/yellow Cambodian buses from HCMC to PP.

Where do you buy the tickets for them and how far in advance do you need to book them.Is there more than one bus a day and are they modern aircon buses with ample room for luggage.

I am looking at arriving in HCMC and ideally leaving the next day on a for PP and would prefer to not have to change buses at the border.

I am also interested in similiar information for buses to Siem Reap from PP.Especially where to buy tickets from etc.

4. Re: Bus from Phnom Penh to HCM City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, August 28, 2009