We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with Cambodia Tour Itinerary

Which Phnom Penh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Need help with Cambodia Tour Itinerary

HI all... I am taking my wife on a trip through Cambodia and Laos for our anniversary and want to make sure I am hitting the right spots... I notice there are many experienced cambodia travelers here. If you have afew minutes, could you take a look at the Itin prepared for me by a tour operator in Thailand... Is this good, lame, or is there something big missing... would love to hear any reviews.

here it is (the cambodia part atleast)

Day 1 - Arrive Siem Reap (Angkor Wat)

Arrive at Siem Reap - Cambodia in the morning, meet with your guide and

transfer to the hotel. Start your tour to visit the South Gate Angkor

Thom,

Bayon, Baphuon, Terrace of Elephants & Terrace of the Leper King.

Afternoon

tour to the fabulous Angkor Wat, and enjoy the beautiful sunset view at

Phnom Bakheng. Overnight in Siem Reap.

Day 2 - Angkor Wat - Small and Grand Circuits

Early morning, watch the picturesque sunrise at Angkor Wat before

returning

to the hotel for breakfast. Carry on your Tour to the Small Circuit to

see

Ta Prohm, Banteay Kdei, Srah Srang, Ta Keo, Thommanon, and Chausay

Tevoda.

in the morning and to the Grand Circuit to see Prasat Kravan, East

Mebon,

Pre Rup and Preah Khan. Overnight in Siem Reap.

Day 3 - Angkor Wat - Rolous Group - Boat trip on Tonle Sap

Continue your sightseeing on this day to the famous Rolous Group and

see

Prasat Preah Ko, Bakong, and Lo Lei. In the afternoon, enjoy a serene

moment

by taking a scenic boat trip on the Tonle Sap to see the Floating

Villages.

Overnight in Siem Reap.

Day 4 - Angkor Wat - Banteay Srei

After your sumptuous breakfast, visit the elegant Khmer Temples about

30 km

away from Siem Reap, i.e. Banteay Srei and Banteay Samre . In the

afternoon,

visit to Ta Som, Krol Ko and Neak Poan. Overnight in Siem Reap.

Day 5 - Angkor Wat - Ethnic Village - West Baray

Today make an excursion to a local Ethnic Village, before visiting the

other

interesting Angkor temples such as Preah Pithu Group, Preah Palileay,

Western Baray (man-made reservoir) and West Mebon. Overnight in Siem

Reap.

Day 6 - Siem Reap - Phnom Penh

Farewell Siem Reap and take an exciting speed-boat trip to Phnom Penh,

and

see scenic views of the Cambodian rural life along the riverbank

(optional

by air). Upon arrival, transfer to the hotel. After a brief relaxation,

take

a city tour to the Silver Pagoda, the Royal Palace and the National

Museum

of Khmer Arts. Overnight in Phnom Penh.

Day 7 - Phnom Penh

Witness the Reign of Terror during the Khmer Rouge Regime by touring

the

Choeung Ek Killing Fields and the Toul Sleng Museum of Genocidal Crime.

In

the afternoon, visit the Russian Market or Central Market for shopping.

Overnight in Phnom Penh

Day 8 - Phnom Penh - Vientiane

Additional sightseeing until transfer to the airport for your departure

flight. Upon arrival to Vientiane, meet and transfer to hotel. Free at

leisure. Overnight at hotel.

Birmingham, uk
Level Contributor
881 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with Cambodia Tour Itinerary

Not lame! But, is a very standard itintery that many people follow, so you'd hit all the busy areas etc.

How ammenable is the company to tailoring it to your needs and wants?

It would be very easy to organise something similar yourself, and i'm sure at a fraction of the price.

Most things are on the list for siem reap, although they are fitting alot of temples into a short space of time. you can't underestimate the time you may actually spend just looking - angkor wat took us 3 hours, and we missed loads out the first time! ALso, you can't underestimate how much the heat can and will get to you, can make quite slow going.

Tonle sap - good inclusion, but i'm sure it would take you to the purely tourist spots, which aren't that nice to be honest, and are full of massive tourist petrol churning boats. You can take a small boat out for just you, for about 20$ for the whole day, and go to some of the further out villages and flooded forest, chong kneas and komplong pluk - excuse the spelling!

You may also like to build in a bit more relaxation time - temple climbing is tiring!

Also, try and spare a couple of hours and go to Aki Ra's landmine museum, and if you're there on a friday night go and see his kids show - one of our highlights

If you're heading out to bantay srei too, i'd try and include a visit to the river of 1000 lingas and/or phnom kulen - esp if you're there in rainy season!

In siem reap, also try and get to the silk farm, and artisans d'angkor.

To get to PP, boat really is a waste, it costs about $25 per person, boat is relatively unsafe and crowded, and not that great. last i'd heard it had been stopped for safety reasons. 2 options - fly with bangkok air about 100$, or take the mekong express coach for 12$

PP is about right, but make sure you go to S21/toul sleng, before the killing fields, its more chronological and will make more sense - although the whole thing makes no sense at all!

Hope that helps a bit

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with Cambodia Tour Itinerary

thanks - that is a great help. I don't mind paying the extra money to save me the hassle of doing all the arrangements myself. Your tips were very helpful and I am working with my tour operator to make some changes... thanks again

Ilkley, United...
Level Contributor
956 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with Cambodia Tour Itinerary

When are you planning this trip?

I have also planned a trip visiting Cambodia and Laos - hotels already booked but still undecided on all the sight seeing.

Which Hotels are you planning to stay in ?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with Cambodia Tour Itinerary

Hi Zeb

We only spent 2 days in Siem Reap / Angkor. We thought it was enough but it depends on how much you like temples and antiquity.The beach at Sihanoukville was a good experience.Lovely people and fresh seafood, super cheap. Squid, prawns , longuostines and cold beer served right to your banana lounge.

Kratie up on the mekong is a quiet back water where you can get a motorbike out to the River and see a pod of fresh water dolphins. there's only a couple hundred left in the world and they won't be around for long.

5. Re: Need help with Cambodia Tour Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:26 am, October 18, 2006
6. Re: Need help with Cambodia Tour Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 pm, August 18, 2009