We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medical Elective to Cambodia - Accommodation

London, England
Level Contributor
20 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Medical Elective to Cambodia - Accommodation

Hello

I'm due to come to Phnom Penh in February for at least six weeks on a medical elective placement at RACHA which has a main office based in PP (address: N° 160, Street 71, 12301 PP) . Does anyone know what this location is like?

From the sounds of things I'll be moving around a bit, but am thinking of booking accommodation in PP for the whole stay as a base for things. I've been recommended some guesthouses/hotels by RACHA and wondered what people thought of them. Being a student I am on a budget particularly seeing as I am not getting paid for working, at the same time I'm prepared to pay a bit more for a safe/clean location as a woman alone. For example Hang Pech (www.hangpech.com) looks quite appealing and Bun Meng has also been recommended. Hotels like City Villa Apartment, Goldiana and Golden Gate have been suggested.

Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated!

sydney
Level Contributor
177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Medical Elective to Cambodia - Accommodation

Hi , I have no idea what street 71 is like except it's near the city centre so it would be similar to most of surrounding Phnom Penh. which is an interesting city. Try the Flamingos Hotel (#30 Street 172, Sangkat Phsar Thmey 3, Khan Daun Penh... www.flamingos.com.kh) Nice hotel with great staff, only recently built mid-range hotel with good size rooms and will give discounts to long stays, standard rooms are around USD$400 per/month with a complimentary breakfast eachday, not a big breaky but not bad. It's just off the corner of the entertainment area of street 51that's filled with bars of all sorts but it's very quite when back at the hotel. Lots of other long stay accommadation available at some of the restaraunt/bars that have rooms above, you can get a good room for around USD$200-250 per/month, try looking in this link ......www.cambodiapocketguide.com It's a good free booklet with lots of helpfull information. Hope you enjoy your stay in Phnom Penh, great people, great place.

Ireland
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Medical Elective to Cambodia - Accommodation

Hello,

I am not exactly sure where St. 71 is but I think it is near the lake (Boeung Kak). It doesnt really matter in Phnom Penh anyway because it is so easy to get around. I would recommend Okay Guesthouse(St. 258, very near Royal Palace etc.) if you are a student on a budget. Mr. Kim, the owner, is really nice and he will cut your price if you stay for an extended period. It is obviously not as nice as a hotel but I stay there whenever I go to Cambodia and it is always enjoyable.

On the subject of electives, I am looking for a place in Phnom Penh to do a medical elective and would love to know how you found a place to do it. I have found a few places on the internet but would love to know about how you got your elective?

Bimrmingham
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Medical Elective to Cambodia - Accommodation

Hey!

Amazing to find your post. i'm heading out to do an elective with RACHA starting on the 16th April - should be good as I'll get to see New Year! Any chance you could get in contact with me to let me know how it's going and what you've ended up doing for accomodation? It was whilst searching for that that I found your post. i will also be single woman travelling so will be good to know how it's going for you.

Good luck if you haven't left yet and hope it's going great if you're already there!

Lorna

(lorna8@hotmail.com)

Bimrmingham
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Medical Elective to Cambodia - Accommodation

Hey!

Amazing to find your post. i'm heading out to do an elective with RACHA starting on the 16th April - should be good as I'll get to see New Year! Any chance you could get in contact with me to let me know how it's going and what you've ended up doing for accomodation? It was whilst searching for that that I found your post. i will also be single woman travelling so will be good to know how it's going for you.

Good luck if you haven't left yet and hope it's going great if you're already there!

Lorna

(lorna8@hotmail.com)

5. Re: Medical Elective to Cambodia - Accommodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:23 am, August 19, 2009