We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting a Package to Phnom Penh to Help a Tuk Tuk Driver

Which Phnom Penh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tiny, Canada
Level Contributor
126 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Getting a Package to Phnom Penh to Help a Tuk Tuk Driver

Hello Helpful Fellow Travellers, My husband & I recently returned from Southeast Asia and while in Phnom Penh met a young man with whom we fell in love. He told us he had to learn English in order to have better career choices and a better future. We want to help him and after much back and forth e-mailing purchased a Rosetta Stone English course for him. Now he tells me that it is not safe to send through Canada Post - he says it will not get to him. FedEx, etc. is a very expensive option so I am looking for other mailing/sending options or a good honest person who is planning on visiting PP and who would be willing to toss these CDs into the suitcase for Phon. Thanks so very much, Anita

siem reap
Level Contributor
493 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting a Package to Phnom Penh to Help a Tuk Tuk Driver

Hes telling you the truth.Some people have great luck and others never get anything they order from outside.And yes,the other way is expensive.But its the only way to be 100% sure he will get.And be sure to put his phone number on the package.

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,646 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting a Package to Phnom Penh to Help a Tuk Tuk Driver

Hello Eddie.

That's correct. Normally I have a very good success rate with packages sent from Australia to Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and sometimes to the provinces as posted elswhere on a Cambodia Post Tread.

However, delivery/collection notification has still to be received for a small package posted air mail post from Suburban Sydney on 12th April 2013 to Siem Reap. Despite repeated enquiries by the intended recipient at the Siem Reap Post office there is no trace of this mail article which fortunately is of low value.

Unfortunately my timing for sending the package was not good as it left Australia and just sat within the Cambodian Postal system over the long Khmer New Year holiday - hence lots of time for things to "go astray".

The article has since been replaced by a hand delivered article.

Best regards. Ian

Camp Phnom Penh

Tiny, Canada
Level Contributor
126 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting a Package to Phnom Penh to Help a Tuk Tuk Driver

Thanks so much for the "bad" news. It's not looking good, eh? If I hear of someone going to PP I may be able to hitch hike it in but in the meanwhile I appreciate the advice and especially the idea of adding his phone number to the package when we send it. I guess whoever ends up with it if it goes astray will benefit one way or another. The Trip Advisor community is always so helpful. What a wonderful resource you all are.

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,646 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting a Package to Phnom Penh to Help a Tuk Tuk Driver

Putting the recipient's HP (Hand Phone) Number on the same line as the person's name is essential,

as by far and away the majority of mail in Cambodia is NOT delivered but the recipient phoned to come and collect it.

This way, the recipient has to pay the postal staff KHR 1,000 for the phone call plus any other informal levy based on the postal declaration article description and declared value of contents!

It also pays to use a highlighter to make the HP number stand out.

It's my experience that all large packages get through ok but from time to time a small package gets "lost".

Best regards. Ian

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,152 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting a Package to Phnom Penh to Help a Tuk Tuk Driver

I'd volunteer but we're not going until November :(. Have you thought of posting your query more as a request..ie

Is there a Canadian going to Phnom Penh soon?

This may catch someone's eye and cd's are pretty easy to pack. Just a thought

Earth
Level Contributor
441 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting a Package to Phnom Penh to Help a Tuk Tuk Driver

Hi Corrie,

We will be in PP end of July if you want it personally delivered. Leaving from JFK on July 6.

boudecca

Edited: 7:25 am, May 17, 2014
Tiny, Canada
Level Contributor
126 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting a Package to Phnom Penh to Help a Tuk Tuk Driver

Thanks Ian, I am going to try the anyone going to PP idea and see what transpires. I appreciate the good advice you are giving and may have to come back to that but this may be worth a try. I had no idea how difficult this was going to be. Anita

Tiny, Canada
Level Contributor
126 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting a Package to Phnom Penh to Help a Tuk Tuk Driver

Hi, I appreciate your offer and will certainly hang on to your information the only thing is we are in Ontario Canada and I would have to get it to NYC. I have to look into what that would entail. Someone suggested I post a request and I will do that now. But stay tuned please. You may be truckin' a package to PP.

Earth
Level Contributor
441 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting a Package to Phnom Penh to Help a Tuk Tuk Driver

@CorrieChristiann

Shoot me an email via TA if you would like us to bring your package and I'll get you a mailing / shipping address. Sailing on AmaLotus from Siem Reap, overnight in PP on July 30, 31. You may also want to forward contact info for your tuk tuk friend so that I could recommend him to others on that sailing. Someone may be in need of a local, known tuk tuk operator.

Alternatively, if you let me know how much you paid for your version, I could check prices around here. Costco sometimes offers Rosetta at a good price. If you could return yours, I could buy one here and you could reimburse.

Whatever works best for you.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
49 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting a Package to Phnom Penh to Help a Tuk Tuk Driver

I am traveling to PP on June 9 out of Salt Lake City, Utah. I know I that between my son and me, we will have space to pack the discs. Let me know if I can help.