We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend or weekdays in Phnom Penh

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Weekend or weekdays in Phnom Penh

Hi,

My family and I will be going to Cambodia in June for 5 days, we planned to visit both Phnom Penh and Siem Reap but decided against it because of the travelling distance/time, it'll be our first time in Cambodia and we also don't wanna be too rushed.

So I am now planning to spend our holiday in Phnom Penh and Takeo province as it isn't too far away, I would like some help on deciding whether spending the weekend or weekdays in Phnom Penh is better (we arrive on a Saturday morning). My main reason for starting this thread is to get your opinion on which gives a better experience in Phnom Penh and the attractions.

We have yet to decide our daily itinerary, I was initially excited to go to the shooting range and go kart track, but I read reports on other threads and I will be skipping that. I would like to train at the Aikido dojo too but that is subject to their approval. At Takeo province I'm planning to stay at Meas Family Homestay as I see nothing but praise for it and there is also a chance that I can help out in the community.

I am not often on the forum, so please accept my thanks and appreciation in advance for your advice =)

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend or weekdays in Phnom Penh

If you're going all the way to Cambodia it would be an utter shame to miss the spectacular temples in and around the Angkor Complex. Spend your entire time there, seeing the temples and the town and surrounds.

If you can afford another day I'd break up the time betweeen Siem Reap and Phnom Penh (3 full days in SR, the remainder in PP), for get shooting ranges, enjoy the Royal Palce & SIlver Pavilion, the National Museum and temples and markets there instead. You might consider flying from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap if the bus seems too time-consuming.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend or weekdays in Phnom Penh

Hi

When you said 'Angkor Complex', did you meant Siem Reap? I agree that it would be a shame to miss it, but we will definitely be back in Cambodia again, this time we're arriving in Phnom Penh airport, the next time we'll take a flight that will land us straight at Siem Reap airport and spend more days in Cambodia. We'll then get to explore the area thoroughly. Thank you for this input.

Can I ask your opinion and advice on whether there is a difference between visiting Phnom Penh attractions like the ones you listed on the weekends and on the weekdays?

Thank you for your advice =)

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend or weekdays in Phnom Penh

The Angkor Complex (aka Angkor Park) I am referring to is a large are that contains two "circuits" of temples that the drivers normally take visitors on a route to see. Yes, it is in Siem Reap. Seeing all the temples on each circuit takes the better part of a day. Outside this vast area are several other temples that are very much worth seeing. These are Banteay Srie (32 kms from Siem Reap), Beng Mealea (60 kms from Siem Reap) and the spectacular river carvings of Kbal Spean (50km northeast of Siem Reap). These latter outlying temples can all easily be visited in a full day if you hire a car.

Phnom Penh attractions may be a little busier on weekends due to the number of local tourists, otherwise it is usually a pretty busy place. If I wish to avoid tourists I get up at the crack of dawn and see the place when it first opens. The Killing Fields & Royal Palace open at 7:00am, the museum opens at 8:00am.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend or weekdays in Phnom Penh

Thanks for the information maneki-neko. It will definitely help with the planning of my next trip to Cambodia. And also for Phnom Penh. Appreciate all the advice given =)

Battambang
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend or weekdays in Phnom Penh

Weekdays and weekends in Phnom Penh are not different in anyway, the local Khmer are always on the move and hustling to make their daily money for food and trips to the markets for fresh food since most Khmer have no refrigerator.

If you are going to travel that far to see Cambodia I cannot envision anyone not taking the trip up to Siem Reap and seeing the awe inspiring Temples...its only a six hour ride there and you can take in most of the temples in a day. Swing back around and take a break in Battambang, a wonderful city, and then head back to Phnom Penh. Take it all in while you are there, taking your entire vacation in and around Phnom Penh would be a waste.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend or weekdays in Phnom Penh

Voodoo-

Taking into consideration the condition of the roads presently, the PP~SR trip is generally going to take longer than 6 hours. On a bus, 7 (or more) is more like it.

Greater Adelaide...
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
546 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weekend or weekdays in Phnom Penh

Did the siem reap -> phnom penh route by scooter last weekend, because the buses were really busy, and needed to stop over along the way at 2 places ... total driving time (including 2 short breaks) was about 6 hours, but keep in mind that a bike can get through much narrower places than a car or bus could ... in some sections of roadwork, traffic was backed up for several hundred metres (in most cases due to some idiot driving on the wrong side of the road, and getting stuck against incoming traffic), but bikes were still able to skirt around the congested areas ... Until the road gets fixed (again!!), plan for at least 8 hours for the bus on this route ... it you get there faster, then that's a bonus, but PLAN for 8 hours+ ...

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weekend or weekdays in Phnom Penh

Boy am I glad I've decided to fly that route on my upcoming trip. Thanks for the update, Andrew! :-)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Weekend or weekdays in Phnom Penh

Thanks for all the feedback and help guys, greatly appreciate it =)

What I can not do this trip I'll definitely take into account for my next trip to Cambodia!

10. Re: Weekend or weekdays in Phnom Penh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 19, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Phnom Penh