We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the Killing Fields

Which Phnom Penh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Penzance, United...
Level Contributor
335 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
the Killing Fields

Hi

Which is the best and most economical way to visit the KF's. Also any tips on potential scams and rips offs!!

Thank you

Chris

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
16,832 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: the Killing Fields

The cheapest is not always the best. Tuk tuk is cheap, renting a bicycle is cheaper while walking would not cost anything hence it's the cheapest.

Torre del Mar, Spain
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: the Killing Fields

The Guest House I stayed at told me how much tuk-tuks should charge. Not a lot to visit the main KF centre (there were a few hundred) outside of town.

The buildings in town with KF museum and cells are within walking distance of most places.

I never came across any scams or rip offs in Phnom Penh.

Do check out the history museum while in town.

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,762 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: the Killing Fields

Mambo,

Please tell us why you start out with the premise that there will be scams and rip-offs involved with visiting the Choung Ek Killing Fields?

Why should there always be "scams and rip-offs'?

And any visit to the Killing Fields should be preceded by a visit to the S21 - Toul Sleng centre - as this was the starting point for what was to prove the final terminal journey for these unfortunate people. If you wish to comprehend the one you need to have visited the other.

Rgds. Ian

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: the Killing Fields

Your a genius Kegler.....Although it's a long walk from P.P. You didn't mention hitchhiking . also very cheap.

Hey Kegler which area do you think is better El Nido or Coron.?

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,020 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: the Killing Fields

As with what Angkorlad has said, we visited both places (and no scams that we were aware of).

It was an incredibly emotional day, for both my husband and I and we feel it was something very important for us personally, to have visited both these locations and to try and take on board what occurred then and to see how Cambodia is pulling itself out of those dark, dark days. That day will stay with us always and most especially, the courage of the people of Cambodia.

Greater Adelaide...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
546 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: the Killing Fields

The road out to choung ek is often very dusty, so while not necessarily the cheapest, a metered taxi is often the most comfortable way to go ... metered taxis can often be the same as or cheaper than a tuk-tuk ...

If anyone needs, PM me for contact details of recommended drivers, I have a couple in my phone that I always use. English ability varies, but all with good knowledge of PP and surrounds, and always use the meter for all trips.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,774 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: the Killing Fields

Got a moto guy (young men with 150cc bike)

who gather around hotels/guesthouse,s

Negotiated a day deal --to S 21 then KF

As said very dusty & rutted road out to

Choung Ek.

Very confronting

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
156 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: the Killing Fields

I may suggest Tuk Tuk, yes the road is very dusty but using tuk tuk is more experience one. $25 for full day, best negotiated, you can ask the tuk tuk driver to the Killing Field first then Russian Market, Prison, Wat Phnom, Central Market, etc and the driver can wait you in his parking lot, probably you will have a lot to see within a day.

If you stay in the central of Sisowath Quay, you may go to the Royal Palace, Pagoda, National Museum by foot only, cheapest !!

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,020 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: the Killing Fields

I love a tuk tuk ride, and had some great rides in Cambodia, but unless there is some other way to get there, (we travelled in a bus, along roads which are under construction to get to the 'killing fields'), then I would choose some other transport to get there. I've never seen dust like it, even living up here. I kept hoping that we would not have a breakdown, as there was no way I wanted to be out there...the dust was centimetres deep on houses and vegetation.

Edited: 3:39 am, April 01, 2014
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: the Killing Fields

Hi Chris,

I have just returned from Cambodia with my husband.

The Killing fields and the S21 Toul Sleng are The most iconic places in PP because they are about what Cambodia is today.

You will only ever do this once in your life so do it properly and the best it can be done.

If you want to book it with someone who lived through them awful times and can give you more insight than you could ever imagine book a tourist assistant.

If you can they are soo worth it.