We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what money do i travel with in cambodia?

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
77 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
what money do i travel with in cambodia?

Hey everyone :-) sorry I know this topic has been covered already. I am currently using a multi currency cash passport, which is a pre paid currency card. Is it true that I need to carry american dollars with me? And not have and combadian currency??

Thanks Al

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: what money do i travel with in cambodia?

American dollars all the way, you will end up getting Cambodian riel back when your change is less than a dollar ( they don't give out American coins)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what money do i travel with in cambodia?

Yes, it's true, US DOLLARS are the way to go, you are then given change in US and riel so you end up with both anyway.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,487 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what money do i travel with in cambodia?

It's a good idea to take quite a lot of small currency bills like 1 dollar bills as they are handy for tips etc.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
98 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what money do i travel with in cambodia?

Yep save up your $1 US bills.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
77 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what money do i travel with in cambodia?

Awesome, thanks everyone ! Thats a relief... converting Riel to New Zealand dollard was going to be crazy ! Thanks fpr your help ! it makes a huge difference to travelling ! :) have a great day :)

cheers Al

Oudendijk, The...
Level Contributor
878 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what money do i travel with in cambodia?

Has a matter of fact when we were there some of the postcard sellers and the kids selling soft drinks, were even asking for Thai Baht!!

Manicus.

nr manchester...
Level Contributor
118 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what money do i travel with in cambodia?

Be careful with that pre paid card Al. Used one two years Back for trip round Cambodia,Vietnam and Laos. Cost me 7% to withdraw my money. Does the card let you withdraw any currency without currency exchange fee?

Dollars in Cambodia fine by the way!

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
77 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what money do i travel with in cambodia?

thanks...yeah im a bi dubious about this card at this stage too !

Do you know how I actually withdraw American dollars on it rather than the currency of the country I m in ?? I have some American dollars loaded on it..

it seems the best way to use that type of card is to make decent size withdrawals, to lesson how much they charge you.

nr manchester...
Level Contributor
118 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what money do i travel with in cambodia?

Is your travel card a "Globe" card or an american dollar card Al ?

The Globe cards allow you to withdraw any currency with only a small transaction fee(usually about 2.5%)plus the ATM charge(in Cambodia look for Canada bank,no ATM fee when I was there!)

If on the other hand you have a dollar card then expect big currency exchange fees(5.75%),plus international banking fee(2%)plus ATM charge.

I am quoting UK bank fees here so kiwi banks may be different and you might not get hit as hard as I did. The ATM machines in Cambodia automatically fire out American dollars and most things are priced in dollars,your change will be given in riel. The Riel is so worthless it would take all day to withdraw $100. If you venture further afield, let's say Laos the ATM will give you KIP, not dollars and you will definitely incur big fees on a dollar card! The best travel cards I have seen on the market are the Travelex GLobe card and Caxton fx card.

Hope my experience helps pal.

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: what money do i travel with in cambodia?

its actually Canadia bank