We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Backpacker area by the lake

manchester
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
207 reviews
Save Topic
Backpacker area by the lake

Gosh it's a few years since we were in PP but I remember going to this area and having a drink in a bar....can anyone tell me what it's called please, I remember reading it may be pulled down to make way for development? Is it still there? Thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,274 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Backpacker area by the lake

BKK has been filled in by a developer and most of the population "dispersed".

Best regards. Ian

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Backpacker area by the lake

There are still a few backpacker guesthouses and bars along the road behind the ex-lake, but all the old atmosphere has gone - and of course the views.

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
309 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Backpacker area by the lake

The lake is loooong gone!

manchester
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Backpacker area by the lake

Thanks for the replies, that's a shame, we liked it there .

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Backpacker area by the lake

Boeng Kak is long gone, but still plenty of backpackers' accommodation in town..

Phnom Penh
Level Contributor
282 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Backpacker area by the lake

The new back packer area has pretty much relocated to Street 172 between Norodom an Street 13. There are plenty of cheap eat as well as cheap sleep options.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,839 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Backpacker area by the lake

So *that* is why I have been seeing so many backpackers while staying on Street 172. I really must have looked like the odd man out with my Samsonite spinner suitcase. :-D

I must say that the location is excellent near the Royal Palace, Wat Ounalom and the riverfront. The Street 51 is a very walkable distance away, and it really was not hard to walk to Central Market, either. The fact that Wat Ounalom blocks direct access to the riverfront seems to eliminate through traffic, so there is little traffic noise. I did not notice any of the many bars/restaurants being noisy at night, either.

My $12 air conditioned room in a guest house was really good value. It was at least as good as any of the 500 baht ($16) rooms that our family has used during our cheap beach break weekends in Pattaya. The main drawback for some would be that there was no lift and the staircases were quite steep and high.

8. Re: Backpacker area by the lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, August 16, 2014