We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Purchasing Vietnam Visa from Mekong Express

Praia, Cape Verde
Level Contributor
79 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Purchasing Vietnam Visa from Mekong Express

I write this from Siem Reap. I have purchased a ticket to PP and then I am off to Vietnam. Mekong Express told me that they could arrange a visa for ($56 -14 DAYS, $58 -30 DAYS) a person. From peoples' recent experiences, is that a good deal? We are a family of four. Can I do any better at embassy myself?

Edited: 10:16 am, July 16, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,509 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Purchasing Vietnam Visa from Mekong Express

It's simply a matter of convenience versus a few dollars.

What's your own time worth to you when on holiday/travelling?

What's the inconvenience of doing it in person and being processed last after all of the regular agents and having to return to pick up the visa unless you pay a rather high "express" fee?

What's the cost $ of the moto dop or tuk-tuk fare going to cost you.

DIY is always cheaper than paying for a service.

But DIY has both indirect and direct costs too.

Personally, for many years now I've always used a well established local travel agent in Phnom Penh to do exactly the same service that Mekong Express has just offered you.

As the tee shirt says...Same Same but Different...

Best regards. Ian

Praia, Cape Verde
Level Contributor
79 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Purchasing Vietnam Visa from Mekong Express

Thanks for the response, Ian. I agree 100%. However, would it be much cheaper to use a travel agent upon arrival? With a family of 4, $5 x 4 = savings. We will have 2.5 days in PP upon arrival.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,509 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Purchasing Vietnam Visa from Mekong Express

So why not contact a few well regarded travel agents and get a few quotes?

Then you will know for sure.

But either way you are going to have to expend time and money in going to which ever TA you select to lodge passports and photos for your family and then return to pick up passports with visa once completed.

Unfortunately, I am not clairvoyant.

Best regards. Ian

Ha Tien, Vietnam
Level Contributor
795 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Purchasing Vietnam Visa from Mekong Express

Actually it's cheaper to use an agent.If you go to the Embassy yourself,you will pay 60USD for a 30 day single entry visa for Vietnam.I can only assume that the agencies pay less at the Embassy,as they submit bulk applications,and they then pass on a portion of this saving to you,whilst still making a small profit.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
252 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Purchasing Vietnam Visa from Mekong Express

The cheapest is Capitol Bus Company $53

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,509 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Purchasing Vietnam Visa from Mekong Express

Not exactly convenient if you are travelling Mekong Express as was the OP.

Rgds. Ian

7. Re: Purchasing Vietnam Visa from Mekong Express

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 20, 2014