We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meeting the Local People

Which Phnom Penh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Utah
Level Contributor
20 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Meeting the Local People

First, let me thank Ian, better known as "Angkorlad" on this forum. We were lucky enough to have him introduce us to three wonderful ladies in Phnom Penh; Davy, Khom, and Sokun. Our first night in town my wife and I were able to have dinner with them and spend the evening chatting about their life in Cambodia, their past, and their hopes for the future of their country. We found them surprisingly candid about any issue we chose to discuss. Two of the ladies are survivors of the horrors of Pol Pot, the other is a 30-something college student. It is a dinner date we are not likely to forget. The following day we were lucky to be able to engage Ms. Davy to be our guide for the day as we toured the Killing Fields and S-21, the infamous prison. Here personal experiences with her family enriched the day immensly. I urge you to contact Angkorlad on this site if you are interested in meeting these ladies.

Dayna and I have done a blog: blog.travelpod.com/members/dayna-tom-2013

Start at day 15 for the Cambodia portion. The text and thoughts are our own and I take full responsibility for it all. The pictures are a selection of our best. It will have to do as a "JBR" for our trip.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meeting the Local People

Great reports and thoughts, loved it.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
155 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meeting the Local People

Thankyou for sharing your travel blog. I loved your words and pictures x

Cheers bron

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,026 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meeting the Local People

Nicely done - you have however mixed up the stories of Ms. Khom and Ms. Sokun - all three are wonderful, strong women.

4. Re: Meeting the Local People

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 29, 2014