We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to from here??

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Where to from here??

My husband and I are having about 2 weeks in Cambodia in March. We are staying for 5 nights in Siam Reap, 3 nights hopefully at the Four Rivers Resort in Kong Koh and 2 nights in Phnom Penh.Where would you advise we spend the other 3-4 nights? Someone suggested Sihanoukville to get a beach experience as well.We are in our 50's and not into nightlife other than dining out etc.

Also is it easy and economical enough to book cars between these places once you are there?

Thanks in advance

Karen

Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
Sihanoukville
Sihanoukville
Sihanoukville Province, Cambodia
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to from here??

Where are you flying in and out of? Phnom Penh or Siem Reap or coming overland from Thailand and exiting out of Thailand? That would determine a practical schedule for a visit.

Mentioned in this post
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to from here??

into siam reap for 5 nights then to phnom phen for 2 nights then four rivers for 3 nights then .......?. then fly home from phnom phen

nanette447
Level Contributor
307 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to from here??

We have just retuned from a trip to Cambodia which was fantastic. We spent our last 5 nights split between Kep and Kampot, which is 2 hours taxi drive from the airport. We stayed at veranda in Kep and rikitikitavi in Kampot. I would spend the time in Kampot and get a tuk tuk into Kep for lunch at the crab market. Expect quite a bumpy ride as the roads are being worked on there. Taxis are quite easy to arrange via your hotel, but be prepared for little (if any) English to be spoken. During our trip, we relied on sign language and laughter to get from one area to the other. We are both 50 and found the whole experience fantastic and the country and its people wonderful, enjoy

Mentioned in this post
Kep
Kep
Kep Province, Cambodia
Kampot
Kampot
Kampot Province, Cambodia
Rikitikitavi
Rikitikitavi
822 Reviews
Kampot, Cambodia
Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to from here??

I was going to suggest Battambang but after having read nanette's trip report on Kep and Kampot think it would be a great option.

Mentioned in this post
Battambang
Battambang
Battambang Province, Cambodia
Kep
Kep
Kep Province, Cambodia
Kampot
Kampot
nanette447
Level Contributor
307 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to from here??

We went to Battambang as well on our journey. We really enjoyed our time there ( especially the wonderful pha villa), but both felt that Kampot was similar, but a lot easier to travel around on foot.

Mentioned in this post
Battambang
Battambang
Battambang Province, Cambodia
Kampot
Kampot
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to from here??

Great choice on the Four Rivers Resort in Koh Kong, a beautiful place!

A few ideas for your next stop...

The most luxurious hotel in Sihanoukville about 3.5 hours from Koh Kong is the Sokha Hotel, I personally don’t think there is a lot to do in Sihanoukville but the Sokha is a great relaxing place, nice beaches, and has great dining at the “Deck” . Also mid range, with great food, great owner and close to everything is the Reef Resort.... links for both below..

http://www.sokhahotels.com/sihanoukville/

http://www.reefresort.com.kh/

Kep is a little bit further but with more to do and see, plus the drive is great to see how people live and the beautiful countryside...

The distance from Koh Kong to Kep about 4.5 hours

Kep is a place to use as a base to visit Rabbit Island (Koh Tunsay,) and to explore the national park, the nearby caves and rural countryside.

My husband and I really enjoyed staying at the Veranda resort in Kep, great food, great atmosphere.

http://www.veranda-resort.com/index.php

One of the best web sites to get good information on travel and places to see in Cambodia is:

canbypublications.com/cambodia/kep-cambodia-…

Getting back to Phnom Penh from Sihanoukville is about 3.5 hours and taking hwy 3 from Kep is about 4-4.5.

Hope this helps, enjoy Cambodia!

Mentioned in this post
Sihanoukville
Sihanoukville
Sihanoukville Province, Cambodia
Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel
Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel
262 Reviews
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Kep
Kep
Kep Province, Cambodia
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
346 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to from here??

Another vote for Kampot and Kep! I personally think Phnom Penh is worth another night too... but that's just my opinion!

Mentioned in this post
Kampot
Kampot
Kep
Kep
Kep Province, Cambodia
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to from here??

A huge vote for Kampot, I'm your age and love this town. The Rikitikitavi will look after you so well. Day trip to kep.

So from Four Rivers just head to Kampot and then to PP.

Edited: 5:49 am, February 19, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Kampot
Kampot
Rikitikitavi
Rikitikitavi
822 Reviews
Kampot, Cambodia
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
537 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to from here??

hi,

We are also planning on our last 5-6 days in kampot/kep. we origially thought day trips from Kampot but we are now considering staying at kep to do some walking and to go to rabbit island.. Pleasfor those that have done Kampot/kep what are your thoughts?.

thank you

chris

Mentioned in this post
Kampot
Kampot
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to from here??

You guys are so helpful, I'll be looking at those options today. Sounds like our holiday is nearly all planned.

Cheers Karen