We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus Booking - how far in advance?

Perth
Level Contributor
18 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Bus Booking - how far in advance?

I plan to arrive in Ho Chi Minh City from Dha Nang @ 04:00 about 24th of March with my 21 and 20 year old sons (backpacking). We wish to catch the 07:30 bus to either Siem Reap direct (must be there on the 26th) or to Phom Penh (for overnight stay). Because we are playing the trip ad lib and have no fixed plan how much notice will the various bus companies require to obtain seats on the same bus?

Edited: 4:26 am, January 29, 2013
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus Booking - how far in advance?

i normally just book the day before and never had a problem,

Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus Booking - how far in advance?

oh.... about 5 minutes. No stress at the Cambodian border. If you don't feel like waiting walk past the line with your 3 passports (one of you) and tap on the immigration door. Give them $10 and a lame I'm in a hurry excuse & they'll stamp u up - no waiting!

Of course if you just turn up at the busstop you may be forced to wait up to an hour for the next bus, pay about half price of a hotel booked one and be forced to eat weird and wonderful delicacies cooked before ur eyes in one-pot kitchens, marvel at the scammers, and probably get a conversation from normal (non-tourist trained) Vietnamese or Cambodian if ur open for it; whic will likely end with an invitation to stay at their home or attend a wedding or birthday party)!

Great to hear ur winging it it...keep it up have a ball!!!

3. Re: Bus Booking - how far in advance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 31, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Phnom Penh