We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to visit

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to visit

Hi

we will be touring Vietnam and Cambodia shortly and, as part of the tour, we'll have a couple of free hours in Phnom Penh. We'd like to visit the Killing Fields but as its out of town we're not sure we'll have enough time. The alternative is to visit the Daughters of Cambodia visitor centre. We are going to visit the Royal Palace and the Toul Sleng Museum the following day, which is our last day in Phnom Penh. Is a couple of hours sufficient to travel to the Killing Fields and do the audio tour or are we better staying in Phnom Penh?

We'd be very grateful to receive your advice or other suggestions please.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to visit

I'd recommend seeing the National Museum instead. It houses significant statuary from the Angkor temples.

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
513 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to visit

The Killing Fields are an hour outside of town and you'll probably spend under 2 hours there, so as long as you leave Early afternoon you'll definitely make it.

We found the Killing Fields to be a very somber experience but I'm really glad we went, as I feel to its something everyone should see ( like the holocaust camps).

Audio guides are handed out with your entry ticket at no extra charge and are very informative.

We first went to S21 and then here.

We did visit the National Museum as well, and it was very nice but as an outing, we preferred Killing Fields.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to visit

Depending on how soon your going, check if the palace is open. The palace is closed at the moment due to the death of the former King, you can still visit the silver pagoda (entrance on the south side). As Smurf says go early to the Killing Fields, its hard to imagine what this place used to be, but the audio guide is excellent.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to visit

Gee, sounds like the Killing Fields is a major tourist attraction now. When I visited in 2005 there was only the monument with the skulls and bones, and no one there at all...

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
146 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to visit

Hi

We are coming to Phnom Penh in May. We would like to base ourselves in PP and then do day trips.

Any thoughts for these day trips? Of course we will do the killing fields etc but we are looking for less touristy things to do as well. Happy to ride bikes somewhere or go by local transport somewhere, happy to go somewhere on the river etc

Also any advice re where to stay. We love the smaller boutique hotels rather than bigger hotels but must have pool and wifi.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Edited: 1:35 am, January 20, 2013
sydney
Level Contributor
389 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to visit

Belle077, probably find some helpful info using the search box top right.

If I'm reading the OP correctly they state twice they only have 2 hours to fill in. Seems to me suggesting the killing fields (based on expressed time requirements) is not particularly relevant.

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to visit

Thanks to everyone for your advice. Whilst the killing fields aren't on our scheduled tour I think we're going to try to do our own thing and visit if we can.

Many thanks again

Sherfield English...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to visit

come to visit my house :) :P

9. Re: Best place to visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 25, 2014