We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Futures Organisation - Takeo

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
New Futures Organisation - Takeo

newfuturesorganisation.com/index.php/get-inv…

Hello,

I'm interested in spending a month volunteering in Cambodia and came across this organisation. Was wondering if anyone has any information or experience with them.

Thanks for any answers!

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,837 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Futures Organisation - Takeo

have you read all the other 'volunteering' threads? there are many on this forum

what skills do you have? are you volunteerng in a position that a local could be employed in (ie would your volunteerng deprive a local of an income?)

lots to consider

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Futures Organisation - Takeo

I have read the volunteering threads. All very informative and important to read! Lots of resources online as well that I've been going through.

Any information about this organisation in particular is greatly appreciated.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,098 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Futures Organisation - Takeo

I'm sorry, but this seems to be yet another organization whose only purpose is to entertain tourists. Digging drains, painting murals and helping on the farm can be done by local people who can get paid for it which will benefit their local peopel's economy & subsistence. IMO, places like this take away from communities when they are providing entertainment for tourists.

Please consider this very seriously before you commit, and perhaps in the future if you have a great deal of time and perhaps a valuable service to offer (other than menial labor) you should actually do it.

Cheers

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Futures Organisation - Takeo

Thank you for the reply --

UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Futures Organisation - Takeo

Hi Trisha

Help is always needed at New Futures I have been here for 9 months now and am now living in Takeo. The organisation is not here to entertain tourists but it is a growing community with a return ratio of 85% there are many different things that can be done here. Ever considered teaching in a local village we have nearly 1200 children in surrounding schools with local teachers There are many things to do here as we support a number of schools in rural areas currently we have a team of 40 people from Hong Kong working with the local communities to build toilets and other buildings. On top of this we have 26 volunteers at present doing a number of things teaching the Monks , Police and 4 classes at the Orphanage current engineering projects which be undertaken soon ! For the last person who commented if you have ever tried to manage projects with local Cambodians they can make some very bad judgements and need Western influence to show them the correct way this in turn helps the country move forward. We work very closely with the community here and employ a number of people to help with projects ! Come and see what is happening yourself you won't be dissapointed !! I hope i haven't sent this too late !

6. Re: New Futures Organisation - Takeo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, January 07, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Phnom Penh