We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catch a cab from Killing Fields back to central area?

Which Phnom Penh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sentosa Island...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Catch a cab from Killing Fields back to central area?

Hi

I would be staying at the 252 Hotel next weekend and i was hoping to walk from my hotel to S21 in the morning, before taking a Tuk Tuk to the Killing Fields. Most threads describe hiring a tuk tuk driver for the whole day but I would like to seek your advice if it is possible to hire a tuk tuk driver for just 4hours so that after lunch I can just visit the Killing Fields and return to my hotel? If this option is viable, would you know the rates for engaging the driver?

Alternatively, is it easy to get a Tuk Tuk outside the Killing Fields?

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Catch a cab from Killing Fields back to central area?

You can hire the tuk tuk driver for as long as you like, the cost will depend on your haggling skills, we hired ours outside our hotel and he took us to the killing fields, waited for us then took us back to our hotel, we didn't hire him for the whole day.

Sentosa Island...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Catch a cab from Killing Fields back to central area?

Hi Chrella

Thank you for replying. :)

Can I also find out how much time you spent at the killing fields? This is So that I can get a gauge of how much time to commit to the visit, and be able to plan my schedule to catch flight back home on the same day.

Thank you.

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Catch a cab from Killing Fields back to central area?

There are no taxi or tuk tuks just waiting for pax at the Choeung Ek Killing Fields. It is circa 12 Km outside central PNH and the vehicle you use to go there waits for you to bring you back to town.

Depending on time of year, the road to Choeung Ek is prone to flooding so it would not be a good walk.

Best regards. Ian

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,613 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Catch a cab from Killing Fields back to central area?

How much time you spend at the Killing Fields depends entirely on how you feel about the experience. It's been many years since we've been there and it was before it became somewhat of a "tourist attraction", so the eeriness and silence of the place added to our emotional reactions.

I honestly don't remember how long we were there. Although macabre, we felt it was important to, not only pay our respects to those who perished in such a place, but for us also to understand just a little more about what these wonderful people went through.

Cambodia is a wonderful and very special place, but it can also break your heart.

Oh and about transport - nearly forgot. Just hire a tuk tuk from town for a few hours which will cost you around $20 to be decent to the driver.

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Catch a cab from Killing Fields back to central area?

You can hire a tuk tuk for the whole day for 15 USD...it is a long drive out so 7-8 should cover it and then if you like the driver you can arrange for him to take you other places during your stay, they do like to be hired for the whole day but they will be happy to be hired for partial day also.

Phnom Penh also has two very nice A/C cab companies that you can call to have a taxi pick you up, they are metered with no hassle, and not expensive at all.

6. Re: Catch a cab from Killing Fields back to central area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, December 15, 2013