We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa and Immigration

CA, USA
Level Contributor
127 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Visa and Immigration

I recently read several blogs that mentioned a tip of $1 should be included within the passport and visa application when going through immigration.

Can anyone confirm this? We are a family of 7 (with elderly and children) will arrive Phnom Penh in 2 weeks. We don't want any problems... please advise.

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,295 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa and Immigration

no .. don't pay the $1 'tip'

How old are the kids? From memory, kids under 12 get a free visa - but you should check that.... just have 7 (or however many are needed) x crisp new $20 bills, 7 x passport photos, 7 x completed forms and 7 x passports ready, (we just put the form, photo and the $20 note together inside the passport) and hand them over with a smile (perhaps not all in one go - they may process you one by one) and all will be well. It's the 'idea' that this tip is necessary what keeps this scam going.

there are a few posts on visas for kids (ages/costs etc) - but you should also check on the Cambodian imigration site to.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
14,610 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa and Immigration

This is just another reason for not believing a lot of what you hear or see written on this forum by ill informed or, more bluntly, stupid travellers/writers. What happened to commonsense?

First of all, what have been told and have posted is totally incorrect. Further more, it is corrupt behaviour on your part and is just as corupt as passing an unauthorised payment to an official in your home country of the USA.

The procedure at both Phnom Penh and Siem Reap International Terminals is the same and as follows:

The Visa Service process is free of charge - as are the short and simple Visa Application Forms you need to complete - usually given out on the plane for you to complete but if not they are freely available in the arrivals hall - just be sure to have a pen/biro to complete them.

The only charge is for the visa itself and this is only paid when your visa application has been processed in the processing line and your passport, with visa inserted in it, is held up and/or your name called out. It is at this point that you pay the visa fee which, for a single entry, thirty day validity, Tourist Visa, is USD$20. per adult payable in USD and no other currency.

Just be sure to have a recent passport/visa type and size photo for each person applying for a visa to avoid any delay in the processing procedure. And as not all passports are handled by the same official, even though handed in at the same point and time, they can emerge in random order so be sure to have exact money USD$20. for each visa application/passport processed; although this is not strictly necessary, as they will usually have change from previous passengers if you tender a large USD bill/note but you will most likely receive any used, dirty or marked notes back as change because they do not want them.

Then, once you have your visa and your passport back, you then go through Passport and Immigration Control for your visa to be stamped, your photo to be taken and your finger prints scanned.

Then you go and wait for your bags at the luggage belt.

Then once you have your bag/s you pass through Customs and hand in your Customs Declaration on exiting the terminal building.

It's all so simple and straightforward and NO money to be paid to any official at any stage except for the correct visa fee itself.

Rgds. Ian

Edited: 1:15 am, September 25, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
CA, USA
Level Contributor
127 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa and Immigration

Thmoore and Ian,

Thank you both for your detail explanation on the subject matter.

I do not condone this practice (of course) and would have feel uncomfortable with it but my mom is one to worry. Since this is our first visit to SE Asia... Now, I can set her mind at ease.

Cheers!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa and Immigration

You can also ask for an E Visa online but I think it's more expensive.

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa and Immigration

Nobody asked me a 1$ tip on arrival at the Phnom Penh airport

Mentioned in this post
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa and Immigration

Hi FamilyTrakker,

This may be too late for you, but may help other people with the same question, just use the online E-Visa very simple and safe, you save time and trouble, skip the long que on arrival here is the information on the E-Visa

E-Visa: The Cambodian Ministry of Foreign Affairs now offers 'e-visa' - visas available online through the Ministry's website. Scan of passport and passport size photo required. Payment by credit card. US$25 for a 30 day visa (three month validity.) Processing time: 3 days. Issued by email and print from your computer. The Ministry recently announced that e-visa entry points now include Siem Reap International Airport, Phnom Penh International Airport, the Bavet/Moc Bai border crossing, the Poipet/Aranyaprathet border crossing and the Koh Kong/Had Lek border crossing. To order an E-visa see the following website: http://www.mfaic.gov.kh/e-visa/vindex.aspx

Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
British Columbia
Level Contributor
112 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa and Immigration

This site is not working? Is there another address?

Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa and Immigration

I have been through PP airport this morning- had my evisa in passport so not a problem. However to get it at the airport also did not seem to be problem.

The immigration officer was grumpy and nasty though- have to have thick skin when travelling alone. I did not know about the finger print scan so did not catch on what he was saying at first.

Hot humid but dry at the moment. waiting for my room.

Meeting a local photographer- english but been here 6 yrs- tomorrow to start 13days photographic tour through cambodia. Glad I will be with someone. A little bit daunting otherwise. Or mabe I am just tired

Edited: 12:37 am, October 05, 2012
British Columbia
Level Contributor
112 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa and Immigration

Have a great time doing photo tour - how exciting.

Thanks for the info what is the fingerprint scan - haven't had a chance to follow that up?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
14,610 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visa and Immigration

Passengers entering Cambodia are scanned electronically by a digital camera for a facial recognition image and fingerprinted electronically as they are processed at the immigration processing counter.

These images/print scans are then matched electronically with those of outgoing pax. And for those that do not exit the authorities now have your photo and fingerprints.

Best regards. Ian

Mentioned in this post