We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiring a driver for our entire trip

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Hiring a driver for our entire trip

Hi,

We are a family of five travelling around Cambodia next month for. It's been suggested that we hire a driver for the entire trip. We are planning on going to PP, Siem Reap, Sen Monorom (Elephant Valley Project), back to PP, Kep, Koh Rong (off Sihanoukville), Koh Kong then back to PP. Does anyone know if this is do-able? Any recommnedations.

Cheers

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Hiring a driver for our entire trip

Sam is unable to do the trip on the date I want. Are you able to recommend anyone else that you have used before?

Thank you

Winnie

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Hiring a driver for our entire trip

It's always worth an email, he also has another driver? But request him if you can. He totally deserves the business he is hard working, as they all are, and supports his family.

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Hiring a driver for our entire trip

winnie,if you want a taxi from shv to pp than hire a local shv taxi.your hotel can organise this,if you hire a pp taxi he will need a fare to shv that links up with your date of departure.

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Hiring a driver for our entire trip

Just remember if you hire the driver and car for say a week for travelling around the country,some costs to consider are his accomadtion,food and you will need him to take you everyday ,now its doable but the costs are not really worth it,in the high season it would not be in his benefit to take him away for a week from his family when infact he can earn everyday in his home town,you may just spend lots of time emailing drivers to find they are busy,in some cases its not worth there while.just my 2 cents worth.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Hiring a driver for our entire trip

Paul, Sameth does these trips as his business. He s usually very reasonable with pricing, which includes his accommodation.

As l travel with my family, we have found that this works out well price wise as there are usually 3 to 4 of us, we can stop when we want, even on the side of the road if something interests us, so for me it's not just a A to B trip. He is an extremely safe driver and this for me is worth every penny when travelling with my family. I also like that when in the towns we have Sameth to drive us about and show us places, we usually work out our plans together. We are not waiting for bus's, taxi's or tuk tuk's so if short on time this type of travel works.

It's a different type of thing than just hiring a driver to get from one town to another, of course it would be cheaper if you go with a taxi.

Edited: 9:05 pm, September 28, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Hiring a driver for our entire trip

Ask Sameth can he recommend someone, but no we always use him, he is very popular and does a lot of work with NGO's and expats too! Otherwise someone else may be able to recommend someone they use.

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Hiring a driver for our entire trip

sounds good Ann,i just wanted to point out that there are extra costs,i guess most people would realise this anyway:) Ann do you pay him a daily rate plus fuel?if he is located in phnom penh i will give him some business next time i am there and see how good he is :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Hiring a driver for our entire trip

For us, he has done the daily rate plus fuel. But email him and check the price . I never give prices as it changes as it would in Aust.

He has become a mate now, but l will miss him this trip, only one night in PP the rest in Kampot! Tomorrow!

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Hiring a driver for our entire trip

Hi, I've just tried emailing Sameth on the link on website but it's come back that the account has been disabled.

Would you please be able to PM me his email account as I'd love to enquire about booking him for my family of 5!

20. Re: Hiring a driver for our entire trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:05 am, October 05, 2012
Edited: 9:05 am, October 05, 2012