We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long to stay

london
Level Contributor
24 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
How long to stay

Hi there

My husband and I are travelling to Cambodia in Aug 2012.

We will be in Cambodia for +-8 days mainly in phnom pehn and siem reap. How long should we spend in each city?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,295 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long to stay

5 in SR & 3 in PP. Which city do you fly in to /out of? Land travel between the two takes the best part of a day ... hope you're not going in and out through the one place because this will eat into your exploring time

cheers

helen

london
Level Contributor
24 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long to stay

Thanks Helen. We fly in and out of PP, from BKK, as cost wise it works out cheaper for flights.

Any suggestions of where would be good to stay in PP &SR.?

Been checking out TA etc and it's all becoming a blur.

Thanks for your help

A

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long to stay

For PP - some starting suggestions are Blue Lime, Hotel 252, The 240

For SR - Golden Temple Villa or Hotel - depending on budget.

Helens suggestions on 3 and 5 nights are good.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
9,006 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long to stay

I agree with the 5 - 3 split between SR and PP, the travelling wil take some time away. Taking the bus will take approximately 6 hours, so you potentially loose two days. Flying would allow you to spend more time in both places and less time on the road.

If you, however, take the bus I would suggest taking the early morning bus at 7.30 in the morning with the Mekong Express..you will arrive around 13.30 in SR, which gives you a bit time to explore SR town, buying your ticket for the temples and see the sunset without using your ticket in the afternoon after 5pm.

Then spend the next four days in SR, on day 6 return to PP and spend the last full days in PP. leaving PP forthe end ensures that you dont need to worry aout catching your flight home.

Mentioned in this post
Mekong Express
Mekong Express
314 Reviews
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,295 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long to stay

I second Blue Lime but they book up quite quickly so if it appeals don't wait too long.

We have stayed at the Antenue, the Royal Bay Inn and our daughter raved about the Tanei Guesthouse (we were booked to stay there in April but had to cancel the trip when my OH broke his knee) - Both Ann's suggestions are good but I couldn't deal with all the orange at the GT Hotel so it won't make my list.

Mentioned in this post
Blue Lime
Blue Lime
1,729 Reviews
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long to stay

Travel time by bus between the 2 takes 6 hours. Mekong Express Limousine Bus was a good company and the first we have used in SE Asia to arrive on time.

PP Hotel - Aqua Boutique Guesthouse - Was great value and a nice little hotel in the middle of the city.

We hired the hotel tuk tuk driver out for the day for $25USD to take us to the Killing Fields and Museum, which is a must whilst in PP. Which will take up a day

SS - If you are wanting to see all of the Angkor Temples then 3 days would be reasonable. Costs $20 a day or $40 for three days.

Mentioned in this post
Mekong Express
Mekong Express
314 Reviews
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Aqua Boutique Guesthouse
Aqua Boutique Guesthouse
113 Reviews
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Angkor International Hotel
Angkor International...
622 Reviews
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
london
Level Contributor
24 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long to stay

Thank you sooo much everyone for all the useful suggestions.

Will definitely be taking them up, and have booked into the Blue Lime.

Thanks again

Adine

Mentioned in this post
Blue Lime
Blue Lime
1,729 Reviews
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
8. Re: How long to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, July 18, 2013