We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How safe is leaving stuff in Hotel in Phnom Penh?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
386 posts
43 reviews
22 helpful votes
How safe is leaving stuff in Hotel in Phnom Penh?

Cambodia will be toward the end of a long trip. Just wondering how safe do you think leaving somewhat valuable new stuff (laptops, cameras,...) in the Hotel? What's the minimum star ranking you think would be safe? Thanks.

Sre Siam
Level Contributor
135 posts
1. Re: How safe is leaving stuff in Hotel in Phnom Penh?

If you mean in your room; it isn't safe at all. If you mean leaving it at reception, assuming they have a safe, and getting a receipt, you should be OK.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
20,099 posts
86 reviews
91 helpful votes
2. Re: How safe is leaving stuff in Hotel in Phnom Penh?

I have never had any trouble leaving valuables in a hotel safe (in room). I have also left a laptop locked in my padlocked bag (would not fit in the smallest room safe I had ever seen).

Blenheim New Zealand
Level Contributor
60 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: How safe is leaving stuff in Hotel in Phnom Penh?

We have never had problems leaving things in our rooms at hotels. We lock all our valuables in the safe in the room, but our laptops were left out along with alot of other "nice " things. Trusted the staff at the hotels we chose implicitly.

However it is wise to lock your bags if you are somewhere new and do not know the staff, and leave your valuables in inroom safe or at reception safe.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,146 posts
92 reviews
138 helpful votes
4. Re: How safe is leaving stuff in Hotel in Phnom Penh?

I never leave any valubles at a hotel, not in my room in a locked bag, not even in any locked boxes behind the reception desk. I've had friends who have had money and other valuables stolen both ways, and the staff will only feign innocence. Keep your valuables with you at all times.

(Best advice- "Don't bring so many valuables!")

Sre Siam
Level Contributor
135 posts
5. Re: How safe is leaving stuff in Hotel in Phnom Penh?

I'm happy the #2&3 have had no misfortune, but spare keys abound in hotels. So if you want to dance on the teeth of a dragon, just leave your valuable out in the open.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,146 posts
92 reviews
138 helpful votes
6. Re: How safe is leaving stuff in Hotel in Phnom Penh?

Indeed, PuBarang, they were lucky!

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
47 posts
60 reviews
51 helpful votes
7. Re: How safe is leaving stuff in Hotel in Phnom Penh?

Most rooms have safes. Just put valuables in there. Besides, you're in Cambodia. You don't need to bring your Ming vases and Picassos with you.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,146 posts
92 reviews
138 helpful votes
8. Re: How safe is leaving stuff in Hotel in Phnom Penh?

Most rooms in 5-star hotels have safes. I have never stayed in a place in any of my 7 trips to Cambodia that had a safe. Most thieves are not after Ming vases but laptops, cell phones, cameras, gold jewelry and cash are certainly at the top of the list...

Edited: 4:41 am, May 06, 2012
Kerobokan Kelod...
Level Contributor
10,922 posts
207 reviews
187 helpful votes
9. Re: How safe is leaving stuff in Hotel in Phnom Penh?

Hi,

In my experience most 3* and above Phnom Penh hotels have in room safes these days and I've never had any problems when using them. Leaving items with the hotel reception is ok 'if' they give you a receipt. I feel less comfortable doing this with wads of cash which is why I rely on cards for the most part. I've also left laptops locked in a bags with no incidents. I don't believe I've been overly lucky.

Cheers

Sre Siam
Level Contributor
135 posts
10. Re: How safe is leaving stuff in Hotel in Phnom Penh?

well, I don't have Wads of cash to leave, which is why 3 star hotels are beyond my reach. However considering the number of spare keys that float around and the average salary of a hotel worker, I would suggest that you are pressing your luck. I firmly believe in the old Arabic proverb, "Trust in God, but tie your camel."

Get answers to your questions about Phnom Penh