We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing US $50 bills in Phnom Penh

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
14 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Changing US $50 bills in Phnom Penh

Hi, i am traveling to PP next week and was only able to get US dollars in my local bank in $50 denominations, does anyone know if i will have any problems changing them in PP, they are new notes so in perfect condition but i have heard $50's can be difficult to spend, if so some advice please :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15,164 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changing US $50 bills in Phnom Penh

Hello Mrmeade,

It all depends upon the place and type of transaction involved.

For example, a reasonable tourist bar or restaurant would have no trouble at all in changing a $50. note. But a small roadside food stall could easily struggle to do so.

A motodop or tuk tuk driver would not be able to change it in most cases.

This is why you need at an early oportunity to "break" a large note in to smaller notes for the more usual transactions and costs of things and services in Cambodia.

I hope that this helps to put the situation in to co0ntext for you?

You certainly do need to have some small denomination notes for simple, low cost, transactions and for leaving a small tip for your room maid etc.

Best regards. Ian

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changing US $50 bills in Phnom Penh

I changed larger notes at some of the banks, l was never refused and l always asked at my accommodation were they able to change a larger note, most times it was ok too.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Changing US $50 bills in Phnom Penh

What denominations do the ATM's in Cambodia dispense? $50's, $20's,$10's ??

Las Animas, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,337 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Changing US $50 bills in Phnom Penh

Matek99 - all of those, and many dispense $100 bills. We simply took them into the bank and had them changed to smaller denominations. We found it easiest when we requested an "odd" amount - like $260 or $380.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
23,196 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Changing US $50 bills in Phnom Penh

Yes Mrmeade, it is difficult to change $50 notes in Cambodia except in the banks in the main.

We've just returned from a trip through Cambodia and found that $1's, $2's, $5's and $10's are the most useful to have. Things are so cheap there that bigger notes are a complete nuisance in most circumstances in many places. Often you get the local currency in change so it's best to minimise that particularly if you're only in the country for a short time.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
14 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Changing US $50 bills in Phnom Penh

Thanks everyone for the tips, i arrive on next Tuesday so i will post here my experiences, hoping i wont have too much hassle changing them, but i will let you know, thanks again for the pointers :)

Banlung, Cambodia
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Changing US $50 bills in Phnom Penh

Easiest to go to a money changer and change USD 20 into Riel. Then you end up with smaller bills, and Riel.

'sheeed

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
58 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Changing US $50 bills in Phnom Penh

Hi mrmeade, hope your trip is wonderful? I write from cold and dark dublin. We l in 2 weeks time. Would be great to get yor feedback in how the floods/aftermath have affected travel on the ground. We'll be visiting bankok, siem reap, pp and phu quoc. Many thanks in advance - and hope you got your $50s changed .....

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Changing US $50 bills in Phnom Penh

Just change it at your hotel.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,984 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply