We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PHNOM PENH for beginners

Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
721 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
PHNOM PENH for beginners

I'M HOPING TO HELP PEOPLE WITH SOME OF MY PERSONAL KNOWLEDGE TO HELP THEM 'KICK START' THEIR PHNOM PENH TRIP.

AIRPORT TO THE CITY - If you book a hotel, the better ones will send a car to collect you. If you arrive 'on spec' or book a cheaper one, the taxi driver will get his commission when he brings you there.$5 is the taxi fare to the city centre.

HOTELS - A lot of the 'foreigner' hotels are situated near Sisowath Quay, it's pleasantly cool in the evening with a breeze off the river, and plenty of little bars around as well

SIGHTS - The Royal Palace, National Museum, Wat Phnom are the main ones. The PolPot / Khmer Rouge era is repaesented by Toul Sleng museum in the city, and The Killing Fields in the 'suburbs.

FOOD - There are many resturants around, pick the busier ones to be sure of quality.

MARKETS - Psah Thmei is the oldest French colonial style market, but the brand new Sorya shopping mall beside it is also worth seeing, prices don't very much, but there's different types of goods in each market.

DAY TRIPS OUTSIDE THE CITY - A day trip to Phnom Chisor temples and ruins will give you great views of the surrounding countryside as well as many styles of temple in various states of repair.If you're adventurous, then you could go to the Army shooting range and let off a few rounds into targets from various guns - you get to keep the target sheets as souviners

Mentioned in this post
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
Sisowath Quay
Sisowath Quay
1,184 Reviews
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Royal Palace
Royal Palace
6,837 Reviews
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
National Museum
National Museum
3,689 Reviews
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Wat Phnom
Wat Phnom
2,375 Reviews
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
721 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: PHNOM PENH for beginners

TOO long ! Check out airasia.com for cheap flights. they had $25 flights when they started, maybe they have some specials for the time you want to travel.If not, come back to me.

tam
Level Contributor
258 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: PHNOM PENH for beginners

I'll check on this airasia.com.. Thanks again

sydney
Level Contributor
177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: PHNOM PENH for beginners

Hochi 1, I don't mean to be rude or unappreciative of your comments on this forum however i must ask if you truly know much about this city at all. Your information is often incorrect and somewhat bias (e.g.Paris Hotel)and not very informative at all. Where do i start, the airport taxis are USD$7 and have been for the last three years i have travelled to this city. There are many 'foreigner'hotels on the river front yes, there are many more back towards the city also that are very good value. The food is good in most places depends on your tastes. Markets, central market good for fresh fruits and clothes jewelry etc. Russian market great for clothes, electrical, dvd's,cd's, ornaments and to many things to mention.Nightlife in PP is abundant and exciting with many bars open till very late some 24 hrs. Happy Trip.

Mentioned in this post
Russian Market
Russian Market
2,014 Reviews
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Singapore
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: PHNOM PENH for beginners

Hey!

Someone can recommend for me , i am looking for budget hotel about US10, which near PHNOM PENH central.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
721 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: PHNOM PENH for beginners

Check canbypublications.com/phnompenh/ppintro.htm for listings. New 'budget' hotels are opening all the time.

16. Re: PHNOM PENH for beginners

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 am, August 16, 2009