We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medical Elective in Phnom Penh

Which Phnom Penh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ann Arbor, MI
4 posts
Save Topic
Medical Elective in Phnom Penh

I'm a Canadian medical student living in Cambodia January 2006. I'm looking for a safe, clean place to live that is relatively affordable. I will be working at Sikhanouk Hospital for my elective. Would it be safe to walk around by myself, I am Cambodian by heritage and a woman traveling alone?

Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
711 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Medical Elective in Phnom Penh

I presume it is the King Sihanouk Hospital in PhnomPenh, it is near the Wat Phnom. There is a good guest house behind Calmette Hospital on St86n near the mosque and Boeung Kak lake. Many people stay there for $7 -12/ day, he may have a better rate for long term.

E mail Va - bunva2001@yahoo.com - with your requirments.Va and his family will help you like you are family.

Many people walk but the majority use a 'motodop' (motorcycle taxi ) because the foot paths are usually blocked with motorbikes, and a moto costs 30 -50c for a 5 minute journey - you'll get used to using motos regularily in Cambodia

Bangkok Thailand
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Medical Elective in Phnom Penh

I consider Cambodia quite safe for a woman on her own. I never had any problems but I'm also much older than you are. Like anywhere else, pick-pockets are around.

What i didn't like in Cambodia was that many of the males didn't show any respect to women regardless of age. Yet, I always dressed respectably and not dress like tourists.

I spent 3 years in Siem Reap.

I cannot advise on accommodation for you.

London, England
Level Contributor
19 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Medical Elective in Phnom Penh

Hi there! I am a medical student in London, England. I would be very interested to hear of your experiences on your elective, as I am trying to plan mine now. I am very much leaning towards Cambodia but haven't contacted any hospitals. How do you find your time there? Did you manage to find suitable accommodation? I would really appreciate any tips you have! My email is ha1016@qmul.ac.uk. Many thanks. Emily