We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day in PP

Auckland
Level Contributor
477 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
One Day in PP

Hi

We have one day in PP (this Thursday !)and would appreciate any thoughts on how best to spend it. We have been caught out in Vietnam with closing times etc and as we have so little time would be greatful for any suggestions of how best to tackle it. Would it be best to hire a Tuk Tuk driver for the day and if so what are the likely costs ?

Thanks very much

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,098 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Day in PP

Hi Shelly

Definitely see the palace, and the silver pagoda, next door. Be sure you are wearing long pants or a skirt and have a long-sleeved blouse to cover yourself with otherwise they will not let you into the palace compound (open 8am-11:00, 2:00-5:00pm). The museum nearby is also very worth seeing (open 8am-11:30, 2:00-5:30pm). These are all within walking distance of each other. The Central Market is fairly nearby which is fun to mill around in. You can walk (a little over 10 minutes) or grab a tuk-tuk or taxi. Wat Phnom is also within walking distance and is definitely worth checking out. If you still have the time and energy, you can head over to Tuol Sleng (the Genocide Museum) and Russian market nearby for serious shopping. To get to Tuol Sleng you will definitely need a tuk-tuk and it should be no more than $3 one-way, maybe $5 for that and the Russian market (have the guy wait around while you browse and he will drive you back, too)

Auckland
Level Contributor
477 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Day in PP

Thanks very much that's a great start, thanks very much appreciate your help.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Day in PP

I wore capri's and a t-shirt when I went to the royal palace and silver pagoda and had no problems getting in. Both definitely worth seeing.

For lunch I recommend Friends, just up the street from the museum.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,098 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Day in PP

Capri's are below the knee and a T-shirt has sleeves. Anything less than that would be direspectful and they will tell you to cover it up. I saw them stop people at the entrance.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,734 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Day in PP

1. Killing Fields

2. Toul Sleng Genocide Museum (S-21)

3. Russian Market

4. National Museum

5. Grand Palace

If you start early - think you can easily do all of this in one day especially if you hire a driver.

Auckland
Level Contributor
477 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One Day in PP

Thanks everyone for your imput, we have just arrived and the tuk tuk driver who brought us here said we can hire him for the day for $20 including going out to the killing fields which sound pretty reasonable, does that sound about right?

Thanks again it's been very helpful

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,098 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One Day in PP

If he's going to be with you the entire day, maybe. I paid about $7 to go out there, Tuol Sleng and the Russian market, but I probably did this in 4 hours max.

Auckland
Level Contributor
477 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One Day in PP

Thanks for your help just had an excellent day and managed most things except the museum, the heat and a couple of weeks being on the go caught up with us. We were lucky we had a great tuk tuk driver, paid him $20 and have been out all day, I would recommend this to anyone as it saved us continually having to bargain plus he did things in an order which maximized our time. His name is Mr Buntheng and he can be called on 017 867 311. We didn't hire a guide as costs for our trip are racking up.

Anyway thanks again

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,098 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One Day in PP

Glad you had a good time! (and guides aren't generally needed for Phnom Pneh anyhow...)

Auckland
Level Contributor
477 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One Day in PP

Yes we found most places had good explanations but most of it didn't need words the horror of what went on here is obvious. A very good day and one that leaves a lasting impression.