We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

Australia
12 posts
Save Topic
Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

I am travelling from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap on the 21st April. What are my options I really want to try the boat service, which one is best?

Thanks

Yamhill, Oregon
Level Contributor
23 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

We took Capitol Express from PP to Siem Reap - $5/person. It was airconditioned, but no toilet on board. However, they stopped twice at rest stops and the total trip was 6 hours. Coming back we decided to take Mekong Express ($11/person) but I can't say that it seemed any more luxurious. They only stopped once because they had the toilet. Our bus was having some kind of mechanical problems so they drove slowly - it took about 7 hours. For the $11 we did get picked up at the guest house, which added another 1 - 1 1/2 hours to the trip. We also got a box breakfast that wasn't much worth eating. The other nice thing about Capitol is that the bus stations are closer in to town centers than Mekong.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,098 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

Each bus company has its pros & cons. I don't care either way, I'll take what's convenient. The Mekong office is right on the riverside, 2 minutes on foot from my gueshtouse, which is pretty convenient if you ask me. From SR-PP however, they "forgot" to pick me up at my guesthouse, so I had to get my guesthouse guy to take me to the bus station on the back of his moto. Needless to say, I missed that bus, had to opt for another one on a different company as there were no other Mekong buses for at least another hour, and that bus broke down 30 minutes out of town! Had to wait around for an hour for another bus! When that bus came, things were peachy and I guess the driver was trying to make up for lost time as we ended up there only 30 minutes or so later than the scheduled arrival time!

No worries, that is part of the experience of travel in Southeast Asia! :-)

13. Re: Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, October 22, 2009