We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel guide in Phnom Penh

N. America
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Travel guide in Phnom Penh

Is it necessary to have a tour guide in Phnom Penh? Also is it safe for a single female to have a guide?

Suntours & Travel
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Image Cambodia
Multi-day Tours, Boat Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours
pHNOM pENH
Level Contributor
322 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel guide in Phnom Penh

It is not an essential , but would save you a lot of time having some one who (important) Knows his way around , speaks good English , is honest and trustworthy , from experience i have 2 such people i have known for the 3 years i have lived here in Phnom Penh . Is a taxi owner/driver , Mr Rasi at

rasi_pang@yahoo.com , phone , 012 994 557

He does tours inside and outside of the city plus can assist for tickets of all kinds .

Tuk-tuk owner/driver Mr Thol , he does not have an e-mail address , phone , 011 672 198 .

He operates inside the city , can assist with tickets , rooms etc .

Mention my name and be assured of good service with no rip-off . Colin

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,966 posts
438 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel guide in Phnom Penh

Sam is also great, he worked for the Australian Embassy for 4 years, speaks great English and will travel all over Cambodia. He is also extremely honest and he has looked after us for weeks during our visits. Theres lots of info and photos of him on my link below.

Cathy

www.cathyandgarystravelpages.com/sam's_taxi_service.htm

Mentioned in this post
South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,966 posts
438 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel guide in Phnom Penh

Whoops - just cut and paste the link

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel guide in Phnom Penh

There is absolutely no need for a guide. You can easy find out much info from a guidebook or even online. canbypublications.com/phnompenh/ppintro.htm

Hire tuk-tuks by a per trip basis - no need to hire by day (rates noted in guide above). It is more convenient and saves lots of money. Only hire a car for longer trips (e.g, outside city).

Tuk-tuk drivers will always quote a higher price - smile and quote a reasonable and fair price and 99.9% they will agree. For the .1% of the time, walk a little and you'll find another driver. :)

PP is safe - just take normal precautions as you would in any American city of more than 100,000 people.

Kansas City, MO
Level Contributor
232 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel guide in Phnom Penh

Cathyandgary:

I just hired Sam for our two days in PP in November. He replied promptly to my email inquiry and gave us an excellent rate for the 2 days plus airport PU and dropoff. So I hope your recommendation will be a good one. I'll post my experiences after our trip.

N. America
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel guide in Phnom Penh

Thank you for your feedback, and the link is very helpful.

7. Re: Travel guide in Phnom Penh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, October 07, 2009