We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has the prices for guides/transportation gone up?

Which Phnom Penh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Has the prices for guides/transportation gone up?

I emailed a guide on behalf of a client recently and was quoted $15 for an airport transfer and $45 per day for a 15 pax van in PP.

It does seem slightly higher than what I thought it would be but not a lot of money either way. Was I ripped of?

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,120 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has the prices for guides/transportation gone up?

$45/day for a 15 pax van? That sounds great to me. I have been reading $15-$25/day for a guide in a tuk tuk or car.

California
Level Contributor
665 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has the prices for guides/transportation gone up?

I was in PP in April 2007 and a taxi from the airport was a set rate of $7.00. A tuk-tuk was $5.00 from the hotel to the airport and a motor was $2.00 (although that might be difficult with a suit case). I hired a motor driver for all day for $10.00 and we covered a lot of miles each day. He wasn't a tour guide, but I had researched what I wanted and didn't needed the history of each place. I toured around four days with the same motor driver and really enjoyed it. I realized that method of travel isn't for everyone but it gets you to some interesting off the beaten track temples and war sites. Hope this is useful.

Birmingham, uk
Level Contributor
881 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has the prices for guides/transportation gone up?

for 15 people that sounds like a good deal!

we had a mini van for 7 people, and that was 25/30$ a day, (about 18months ago)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Has the prices for guides/transportation gone up?

There isn't really 15 people. It is actually 4 people. The guy only has camrys and 15 pax vans (the Asia assembled mercedes vans)

Phnom Penh
Level Contributor
282 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has the prices for guides/transportation gone up?

Gasoline is at a dollar a litre and I expect with it reaching 80 dollars a barrel, it will go up even more. When the price of oil drops per barrel, usually in the US, or in neighboring Thailand the price of gas goes down, but in Cambodia for some reason it stays at its peak.

At a dollar a litre (roughly 4 litres to a gallon) you can figure what kind of mileage a well maintained Camry in the US gets then give up a few miles for a lower maintenance standard, factor in a wage and you can see for yourself if the price is fair.

6. Re: Has the prices for guides/transportation gone up?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:27 am, September 10, 2009