We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas day in Phnom Penh

California
Level Contributor
943 posts
355 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas day in Phnom Penh

Hello, as it turns out, I am spending Christmas day in Phnom Penh, by myself.

I'm not interested in going to the genocide museum or killing fields, and I'm not much on celebrating Christmas.

Is Christmas day in Phnom Penh about like any other, or will things be closed at all? Anything unusually interesting to do that day as well?

Thanks!

3 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas day in Phnom Penh

Things won't be closed. It's not a Christian country!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15,157 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas day in Phnom Penh

Hello Aqusite

Christmas Day, 25th December, is not a public holiday in Cambodia as is to be expected in this predominantly Buddhist country.

Nonetheless, within the tourism industry it is being marked more and more each passing year and with many hotels charging guests for a near-compulsory Christmas Day lunch or dinner. Many bars/eateries patronized by the resident expat community will be offering "Christmas Day Specials".

As far as the trapping of Christmas/International New Year go, all of the usual decorations associated with a Christian Christmas/New Year have been on sale for at least a month now - certainly so in Phnom Penh. Many of the International New Year decorations will not come down until after the end of the Khmer New Year in April 2018!

So, Aqusite , as far as you are concerned it is mostly a business as usual sort of day for most of the population and businesses.

Best regards. Ian/Angkorlad

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
6,139 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas day in Phnom Penh

I was in Phnom Penh last Christmas day and with the exception of the odd Christmas decoration, it was just another day there.

Reply to: Christmas day in Phnom Penh
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted