We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

December 31st in Phnom Penh

Hever, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
December 31st in Phnom Penh

Hi

I am arriving in Phnom Penh on December 30th and staying until the 1st Jan (on the 8am bus!)

I'm with my wife and teenage kids (13 / 16 / 19)

Do they celebrate New Year out there? If so where is a fun place to head towards? Either that or a fun restaurant.

Any other tips while we're there are all gratefully received.

3 replies to this topic
Phnom Penh
Level Contributor
542 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: December 31st in Phnom Penh

Khmer New Year is in April the best place for English New Year is Sihanoukville beach CAMBODIA but you will be in Phnom Penh ( PP ) traveling on the roads on January 1 is one very busy day on cambodian roads if by private car ( taxi ) unless it's a private mini van a 12 seater you can't go by car with almost 6 adults 13 hrs old is no longer a child as cars can only take 5 max including the driver so will need mini van or if traveling bus bus or coach December January being at the very very busy season everything will be booked out so hope you have booked in advance all modes of transport ,hotels just had to mention the car a max number of people just incase you booked a car instead of a mini van the shopping centres will be all open as it's just another day in CAMBODIA visit aeon mall shopping centre $2 tuk tuk ride from city centre and see the huge Xmas tree they have on display each year plus most shops get into the Xmas spirit they have some great window displays .

Tuk tuk drivers may argue about having 5 passenger's and ask for more money just walk down the line asking until some tuk tuk driver will say yes .being 5 in a tuk tuk make sure you pick one that has security wire mess safety screens fitted to stop people on motorbikes coming up beside you and grabbing a bag because 5 adults in a tuk tuk not much room for your bags or luggage

Riverside walkway in city centre on the Mekong River have a fireworks display at midnight big crowds watch out for your mobile phone and wallets purses don't carry them including your phone in your hand leave in pocket

Happy New Year in cambodia your children will always remember where they were on the night of the ,31 st December 2017 and morning of the ,1 at of January 2018

2. Re: December 31st in Phnom Penh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:05 am, November 21, 2017

1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: December 31st in Phnom Penh

Hi mate,

I spent NYE in PP a could of years ago and it was good fun. I ended up spending the countdown on Riverside, which was very busy and we made friends with some locals who we shared many beers with and sat down and chatted. Another good option to watch the fireworks from is at Koh Pich, but there's not as much going on there...

Have fun!

Reply to: December 31st in Phnom Penh
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted