We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of Visa issuing 100 Baht fee SCAM at Poipet !

London, UK
Level Contributor
252 posts
263 reviews
195 helpful votes
Beware of Visa issuing 100 Baht fee SCAM at Poipet !

I recently crossed from Thailand into Cambodia at Poipet and I would like to warn travellers using this border crossing of one of the many scams here.

When buying a Tourist Visa at the Cambodia Visa office, the police officers will draw your attention to a hand written note saying that there is an additional fee of 100 Baht to be paid to issue a Visa.

This is a complete scam. The fee for a 30 Day Tourist Visa is currently US$30 (NOT a Cent or a BAHT more !).

I politely refused to pay this additional request for 100 Baht. Naturally, the police officer drew my attention to the "unofficial" hand written note, so I said OK, I would like a RECEIPT please. After some discussion between the officers, my Tourist Visa was rather grudgingly issued without paying the additional 100 Baht.

This is one of the many scams practised at Poipet and refusal to pay may cause a rethink. I would advise travellers to stand their ground on this. The other trick played is that you have to wait a bit longer to get your Visa if you refuse to pay the 100 Baht fee, so trying to justify the fee for a somewhat "express / fast track" issuing service.

The sheer excessive number of police officers at the Visa office astounded me, suggesting that many are benefiting from this racket.

Keith

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
1 review
1. Re: Beware of Visa issuing 100 Baht fee SCAM at Poipet !

I just crossed yesterday & had the same experience. I had not heard of the scam but knew this crossing was dubbed 'SCambodia' & the fee was only $30 US no more.

I questioned it & they asked me to go away. We walked around to see what others said but we're shocked this is the official place to buy the visa.

I went in & took a photo of the handwritten note as evidence. The police chased me down, made me delete it with a promise to explain the fee, and walked away with no explanation.

Then our whole group & others around us got our visas for only $30 US. They are super dodgy - I was going to post about it!

Can't believe they are the actual police!

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
14,951 posts
180 reviews
130 helpful votes
2. Re: Beware of Visa issuing 100 Baht fee SCAM at Poipet !

Its a very well known problem to be fair, & most people crossing a land border should know about it. At the end of the day, its not a lot of money

I prefer to fly into Cambodia so completely problem-free

3. Re: Beware of Visa issuing 100 Baht fee SCAM at Poipet !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:51 am, January 06, 2015
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
10,712 posts
52 reviews
41 helpful votes
4. Re: Beware of Visa issuing 100 Baht fee SCAM at Poipet !

STOP THE PRESSES! URGENT! BEWARE! $3 scam rocks and shocks the tourist world!

Come on people.... perspective....

Edited: 5:25 am, January 06, 2015
Ba Ria-Vung Tau...
Level Contributor
961 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
5. Re: Beware of Visa issuing 100 Baht fee SCAM at Poipet !

3 dollars dont be a tight ar//e

Perth
Level Contributor
461 posts
205 reviews
123 helpful votes
6. Re: Beware of Visa issuing 100 Baht fee SCAM at Poipet !

Hmmm.... Is it being a tight a... Or making a stand against corruption?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
10,712 posts
52 reviews
41 helpful votes
7. Re: Beware of Visa issuing 100 Baht fee SCAM at Poipet !

oh man one is visiting one of the most corrupt countries and regions in the world... when it comes to the tiny innocuous things like $3 you can either just know how to simply avoid it or go with the flow. Take a stand against the mega million $ corruptions that are going on...

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
138 posts
8. Re: Beware of Visa issuing 100 Baht fee SCAM at Poipet !

Problem is that these officers don't earn enough money to feed their families. You can't really blame them if they ask for an extra fee.

I'm not saying you should pay it. The whole issue is just a bit more diverse than "corrupt border officials trying to rip you off".

Koh Kong, Cambodia
Level Contributor
104 posts
9. Re: Beware of Visa issuing 100 Baht fee SCAM at Poipet !

you were lucky you were not crossing the cambodian border at koh kong 1,500 baht. you can be persistant and give 1,000 baht and they will let you through after a wait .the downside is they have a tendancy to rip a page out of your passport then you need to buy a new passport.

Ba Ria-Vung Tau...
Level Contributor
961 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
10. Re: Beware of Visa issuing 100 Baht fee SCAM at Poipet !

where did you get the info re removing passport pages ?Sounds like rubbish to me

Edited: 8:09 pm, January 07, 2015