We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency---US $

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,774 posts
Save Topic
Currency---US $

Last time there was 10 years ago and only time

i was asked for rial was at a little family laundry

Rest of time was the US$

Is that still the scene

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,837 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency---US $

yep - in the tourist areas.. but I reckon the little laundry wil be asking for USD now too - you will still get riel in change (calculated in supermarkets etc by the register for anything under $1) well away from towns you may still need to pay in riel

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,774 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency---US $

Thanks --yep riels

Laundry asking $$$$

progress mmmm!!!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,885 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency---US $

Hardly surprising, BARRY C, given that the USD is the de facto currency of Cambodia and that the Cambodian Riel, KHR, is a worthless, non-convertible, currency outside of the country.

Best regards. Ian

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,774 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency---US $

Think I've got some in my little box of left overs

About 500 riel --would that be worth half of bugger all or all of bugger all

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,885 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency---US $

Barry,

At the street conversion rate of KHR 4,000 to the US$ you are not going to get very far with that old KHR 500 note other than using it as part of a tip.

And if your old KHR note is ten years old or more it may not even be accepted any more.

And the cost of living in Cambodia has risen dramatically and disastrously for so many workers in the tourism and related industries in the past few years and yet so many tourists do not realise this and think Cambodians can live on the smell of an oily rag and treat them abysmally when it comes to a fair go on prices etc.

Best regards. Ian

Edited: 5:27 pm, November 11, 2013
6. Re: Currency---US $

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, November 13, 2014