We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mekong express limousine bus Siem reap to Phnom Penh

Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Mekong express limousine bus Siem reap to Phnom Penh

After all the recommendations, I am currently on the 8:30 Mekong express from Siem reap to Siem reap to Phnom Penh.

The cost was 12 dollars which is twice the price of the competing VIP busses.

Over other vip buses you get breakfast and a bottle of cold water and a significant amount of leg room and wifi.

Unfortunately the negatives about the bus far out way any extra benefits.

The first issue is the ac, they put it on for an hour and then you have to do the next 5 and a half hours without any. I asked them and they said it was used up. I'm pretty sure the just put a block of ice in the fan unit at the back as it has a garden hose coming out the back to drain the water.

The breakfast was a whole packet of rich tea biscuits, now I'm a fan of a biscuit with my tea, but a whole pack with a bottle of water to wash it down, well its not really breakfast is it.

The third issue is the bus, it is old and crappy, they have done it up with some dangling fabric, but this bus is at least 40 years old.

The last issue one is the half an hour stop, it was near a rubbish restaurant the "recommended", that was over priced .

They did not lock the bus of the luggage compartment, so when I headed back to the bus, I saw a guy local climbing out the luggage compartment when, when he saw me he ran behind the market stalls.

Others may have had better experiences, but at this price I cannot recommend doing this trip with this bus company.

Mentioned in this post
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
Gurgaon, Haryana...
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Mekong express limousine bus Siem reap to Phnom Penh

Mekong Express (and I mean the real CAT Mekong express) is another interesting scam of Scambodia (that's what my partner and I say about Cambodia the moment we encounter a scam and trust me there are so many of them everywhere here)...anyway so my experience with mekong has been awful too. I'm right now in a mekong bus from Sihanoukvile to PP and I booked the bus online. The seat layout that they put online and nothing similar to what it is actually. We were alloted seats 1C and 1D, technically front row seats. But when the bus arrived we have realized that these happen to be the most uncomfortable seats next to the driver with hardly any leg room. We can't even view the television provided for the customers. and still we are paying the same as others which is 11 USD per ticket. The other passengers seem to have comfortable seats and they have all booked through some agency. We can't even watch the television When I complained to the person in charge of pick up, he said it's not my look out. We are already 1 hour into our journey and no breakfast whatsoever yet. The only good part about this bus is that it is wifi-ed which is why I could post this now while in the journey.

Edited: 9:23 pm, December 22, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Mekong Express
Mekong Express
315 Reviews
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Mekong express limousine bus Siem reap to Phnom Penh

We took a Mekong Express bus from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap in January 2014. We've done this trip twice before and Mekong Express is definitely a good service. Very professional, left on time, tagged luggage and picked us up from our hotel. Wifi on bus. When we arrived in Siem Reap, they closed the gates of their depot so tuk tuk drivers couldn't get inside while the luggage was collected. You had to show your ticket to get your bag.

Safe driver. We never eat at the restaurant stops so we can't comment on that. We didn't die after eating the complimentary breakfast snack on the bus.

Would recommend this company.

Mentioned in this post
Mekong Express
Mekong Express
315 Reviews
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
Newcastle, United...
1 post
Save Reply
13. Re: Mekong express limousine bus Siem reap to Phnom Penh

How long does journey take from pnomh Penh to siem reap? And are bus timetables reliable? From comments it seem giant ibis is the better of bus companies. Am planning first trip to Vietnam and Cambodia - is this bus route good way to see some of countryside? 38granny, uk

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Mekong express limousine bus Siem reap to Phnom Penh

The bus journey takes anything from 5 to 7 hours, depending on road conditions. The roads are currently in bad condition due to extensive repair work so our trip took 7 hours. Mekong Express bus left on time and kept us informed throughout the journey of our estimated arrival time.

It's a good way to see some countryside you possibly wouldn't otherwise get to see.

Can't comment on Giant Ibis as we've never used them but don't expect Cambodian coaches to be like the ones you use at home. The buses are usually a bit old but the Mekong driver was safe and reliable.

Mentioned in this post
Mekong Express
Mekong Express
315 Reviews
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Mekong express limousine bus Siem reap to Phnom Penh

I have only done this journey once, but it was approximately 7 hours.

I traveled across the length of Vietnam Laos and Cambodia by bus, the trip I took from Siem reap to Phnom Penh on the Mekong express was by far the most unpleasant. You can't expect too much in Cambodia, but the bus we went on was decrepit and the luggage security was poor.

I did use the Giant Ibis bus on another route and the bus was really quite plush, working aircon, wifi a movie in english and really comfy seats and better security.

If I was to do the same Journey again I would pay the extra 5 dollars and go on the Giant Ibis.

Just to note: you should always try and book your tickets a day or two before travel, to ensure you get a better seat.

I have not done this journey on Giant Ibis, so it probably worth trawling the forum to check other peoples experiences. The Mekong express ended up being our worst experience, mainly because we made an effort to search the trip advisor forums for advice on our journeys.

Mentioned in this post
Laos
Laos
Asia
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
Mekong Express
Mekong Express
315 Reviews
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Mekong express limousine bus Siem reap to Phnom Penh

Hi all, just thought I'd share our recent experience from a couple of days ago. We took the 12:30 service from Siem Teap to Phomn Penh and I'm glad to say it wasn't a totally awful experience, the bus was quite old but there was enough leg room (we're 5'10 and 6'3) the aircon was on the low side but it wasn't a sweat pit, the toilet was functional and the wifi worked ok most of the time. We were given a bottle of water and little snack box with a donut and a savoury pastry which was perfectly fine, the bus stops about after 3hrs so you can buy more snacks if you don't have any with you for the reminder 4hrs. Regardless of what lonely planet says, the road is not entirely paved, not sure if it was roadworks but it was fairly bumpy, thankfulky not windy though!

The bus steward was lovely and kept updating everyone about times, historical bits and made sure everyone knew how to get to our hotels once at the bus terminal. Thankfully the kareoke was left until the last 30 minutes and not loud at all, movies were fine too, again our steward was great at keeping the volume at an inoffensive level.

I think that unfortunately it's the draw of the luck with this service, we were lucky and our journey was fine, if you've travelled long distance in South America don't expect the same standard of buses!

Best of luck and thanks to everyone for updating the forum for other travellers.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Mekong express limousine bus Siem reap to Phnom Penh

I agree with the commenters expressing negative experiences with this bus company. I took the noon bus on the 21st of June. The bus, as stated by others, was old and smelly. The snack now consists of a cookie and a sandwich of unidentifiable composition. As I handled the sandwich in the plastic, trying to make up my mind as to whether or not to give it a go, a bubble of pus oozed out of the front, where it had been cut. Nope. I was sweating nearly the whole trip because, as mentioned above, the AC doesn't work. They advertise that the buses have wifi, of course they don't. From PP to HCMC I took Giant Ibis. For a few dollars more the experience was altogether better, WiFi, working AC, power outlets for electronics, etc. Just about my only complaint with Giant Ibis is that there was no toilet on the bus.

Mentioned in this post
Level Contributor
5 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Mekong express limousine bus Siem reap to Phnom Penh

This morning I took the mekong express limousine bus and it was perfect! AC worked all the way, they gave us water and some snack! We had breakfast before because you can't expect more than some cookies! The bus might be a bit old but in very good conditions and clean. I would travel again with this company and I completely recommend it.

1 post
Save Reply
19. Re: Mekong express limousine bus Siem reap to Phnom Penh

I would like to share my experience about Mekong express company that no responsible to customer like I have book bus ticket 1 week before departure then employee as inform me to get ticket at company 1 day before departure, but on the day to get ticket employee said no booking ticket for me that said booking maybe cancel because need to get ticket 3 day before departure and I call to company to check, answer that i receive is system problem all booking has been delete.

My question is:

- If cancel why company don't call to check with customer first ?

- If system problem all data has been delete why only me that don't have booking ticket?

So this my experience with this company and I hope this company must modify your work.

Florence, Italy
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Mekong express limousine bus Siem reap to Phnom Penh

We got the Mekong express limousine from Battambang to Bangkok. Everything went fine until we got to the border. We had to take all our baggage off the bus and walk across the border and change buses on the other side. When we got through some crooks on the Thai side said we had to pay for an extra seat because we had two bags with us. We refused however they got extremely aggressive and completely unprofessional. I started to walk away hoping to find police for assistance with their aggressive behaviour. Eventually we were allowed on the bus with our bags and without paying extra. I wouldn't recommend using this company at all however if you need to don't use it to cross the Thai border.

Mentioned in this post
Mekong Express
Mekong Express
315 Reviews
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Battambang
Battambang
Battambang Province, Cambodia
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand