We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre booking accommodation

Chichester, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
317 reviews
Save Topic
Pre booking accommodation

My wife and I will be spending the first 2 weeks of October in Cambodia, Phnom Penh for a few days then the rest in Siem Reap. There seem to be (too good to be true?) good deals online for hotels, however, do we really need to book ahead or should we organise everything up front? Always worried if we pay up front we are committed to what might turnout to be awful. Budget is flexible, although would probably prefer guest houses for the experience.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,106 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre booking accommodation

October will be OK, not high season yet. I'd still book the first couple of nights before you arrive, though...

Chichester, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre booking accommodation

Thanks, that's what we thought might be an option, although we also don't want to be spending our days looking at hotels!!

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,106 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre booking accommodation

If your itinerary is pretty much decided and you're not just "winging it" (i.e. a few days here, a few days there) then you can very easily book all hotels in advance.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre booking accommodation

Very easy to pre book thorugh the hotels websites, or wing it, as Maneki says its not the high season so accommodation will be plentiful.

Having said that though if wanting to stay in specfic places that are popular you might want to book ahead.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14,195 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pre booking accommodation

If you book through booking.com you don't have to pay until you leave the accommodation. You just need to give them your credit card number in case you don't show up or contact them. You can usually cancel up until quite close to the booking with no fees. We have done this a number of times successfully as we don't want to waste time looking for accommodation when we get there.

Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
4,962 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pre booking accommodation

I pre-booked (direct not thru an on-line agent) my guest house in Siem Reap and my hotel in PP, and didn't pay for either until I was checking out.

Trisha

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
415 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Pre booking accommodation

A lot of people feel more comfortable in having their itinerary and accommodation fixed. But a lot of people really aren't that bothered, and are quite comfortable in taking things as they come.

Personal preference really.

But the more adventurous you are then the more likely you are to want to loiter somewhere for longer than planned, which will changed your intended programme completely

If you do pre-book by whatever means then the hotel will, because of non-showers, want some sort of security to cover any possible losses.

Trisha (#6), did a non-show or failure to cancel on your part have a financial penalty?

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,106 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pre booking accommodation

That's why I don't use online booking sites, as they are either pre-paid or will charge you for last-minute cancellations. I usually book my first night/nights' accommodaton and then before I arrive at my next destination, I phone the place a day or two ahead and see if they have rooms available and book that way.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
415 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Pre booking accommodation

Maneki +1 sort of.

All that comes with experience of the destination, that's one of the reasons why you've volunteered to be a TA Destination Enthusiast. The more experience you have then the more confident you become in arranging things.

I'd kick myself if I'd pre-arranged everything, and subsequently wanted to hang around somewhere as the trip progressed. But if it were my first trip, then I might want to stick to the beaten track and have everything mapped out in advance.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,106 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pre booking accommodation

Well from my experience, after booking everything in advance and finding out the place was a dump/too noisy and having to check out the same day, all I can say it's a mixed bag. If you've pre-paid for a place you end up not being very happy with, then you're at a loss. The aforementioned places were my first times in Phnom Penh & Luang Prabang.

Edited: 5:46 pm, May 24, 2013