We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

translator in Kampong Chhnang

10 posts
Save Topic
translator in Kampong Chhnang

Hi,

Does anyone know how to find a translator in Kampong Chhnang? from Khmer to English.

I want to hire one on 8th Feb.

Thanks in advance!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
14,006 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: translator in Kampong Chhnang

Translator OR Intrepreter?

I spend a lot of time in Kg. Chhnang.

Rgds. Ian

10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: translator in Kampong Chhnang

Interpreter.I will meet local people in fishing commune.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
14,006 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: translator in Kampong Chhnang

Ill get back to you shortly.

I'm rather busy now.

Ian

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
14,006 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: translator in Kampong Chhnang

Hello brightpol,

If you have official or demi-official business with the fishing communes then the Ministry of Ag and Fisheries will most probably assist you with an english speaking staff member.

However, if this is purely personal, and you do not give any indication, then it's up to you to get permission from the Commune Chief to enter the Commune and to mix with the people there.

However, a neat way to side step all of this is to use the local policeman, who has strong spoken english and also doubles as a local motodop.

His name is "RONG" and you can contact him on HP 011 207 741 or HP 097 824 4784 just tell him Mr. Ian gave you his numbers. He knows me well from my work with the potters in Kg. Chhnang Province.

Best to arrange things a day or so in advance so Rong can chat to those involved.

Boat hire can be either by the trip or by the hour.

Best regards. Ian

10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: translator in Kampong Chhnang

Dear. Mr Lan

Thank you for your kind reply! This is amazingly helpful.

I am planning to meet a local NGO which is named FACT, and one of its member will guide me to fishing commune. But the person just speak Khmer, so I need an interpreter. He may have permission to meet the cheif.

Then do I need to contact the ministry? or the police man you said?

I really appriciate for ur help. Have nice weekend!

Best regard. Lee

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
14,006 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: translator in Kampong Chhnang

Hello Lee,

Just contact Rong a day or two earlier by phone. Rong has good spoken english. He knows his area very well indeed so just speak to him and he will take care of everything for you.

No need to contact any one as your NGO will have already made any pre-visit courtesy contact arrangements.

I just wish I was back in Kg. Chhnang right now. Sydney is wet and cold. Most unseasonal for this time of year in Sydney.

There are quite a number of small fishing communes - which one are you visiting?

Best regards. Ian

7. Re: translator in Kampong Chhnang

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 05, 2014