We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

15 Most Memorable Attractions in Cambodia - Huff Post Travel

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
14,866 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
15 Most Memorable Attractions in Cambodia - Huff Post Travel

Please open the lead below to see what the Huffington Post Travel selects as the 15 Most Memorable Attractions in Cambodia. I have reservations about one of them but this is their listing, not mine.

I am delighted to see the Plantation Hotel and Resort make the selection - well done Alexis!

huffingtonpost.com/.../cambodia-attractions-…

Best regards. Ian

Edited: 6:34 pm, January 26, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
14,866 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 15 Most Memorable Attractions in Cambodia - Huff Post Travel

HOLD IT - This lead is not working the way it did for me!

Please just Google ...Huff Post Travel + 15 Most Memorable Attractions in Cambodia ...for the article and photos i was drawing readers attention to.

Sorry about this folks - I do not know what has happened here.

Would an IT savvy reader please post the correct lead to this interesting article?

Best regards. Ian

Mentioned in this post
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,419 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 15 Most Memorable Attractions in Cambodia - Huff Post Travel

try this one huffingtonpost.com/malerie-yolencohen/cambod…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
14,866 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 15 Most Memorable Attractions in Cambodia - Huff Post Travel

Thanks Helen!

How's the snow in Germany this morning/evening your time?

best regards. Ian

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,419 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 15 Most Memorable Attractions in Cambodia - Huff Post Travel

Snow was fantastic - except when it truned to ice rain and disrupted the ICE trains (thankfully we only had that happen twice - rest of trains were all slower regional ones) .. got back Friday AM so my brain is just about re-connected to the rest of me.

cheers

helen

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,126 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 15 Most Memorable Attractions in Cambodia - Huff Post Travel

Hmm, they included some touristy daytrips a busride and a hotel, yet left off the likes of Preah Vihear, Koh Ker and the Royal Palace & National Museum in Phnom Penh?

Mentioned in this post
Royal Palace
Royal Palace
6,916 Reviews
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
National Museum
National Museum
3,731 Reviews
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
14,866 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 15 Most Memorable Attractions in Cambodia - Huff Post Travel

I agree. This is an odd listing.

Looks like it was based on a quick/short trip to Siem Reap/Angkor and Phnom Penh only. It's not at all comprehensive.

But at least it is an interesting listing for those thinking about going to Cambodia. A starting point, so to speak.

Best regards. Ian

Edited: 7:50 pm, January 26, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
angkor
angkor
19 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,126 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 15 Most Memorable Attractions in Cambodia - Huff Post Travel

"Looks like it was based on a quick/short trip to Siem Reap/Angkor and Phnom Penh only."

Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking...

Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
angkor
angkor
19 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
Stamford...
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 15 Most Memorable Attractions in Cambodia - Huff Post Travel

I am the author of the HuffPost piece and as many of you have gathered, this list is for Cambodia newbies with just two or three days to tour. As Ian astutely pointed out, it is a "starting point" based on my own experience and what I believed to be most worthy for visitors with little time. BTW - " The 15 Most Memorable Sites in Siem Reap and Phnom Penh, Cambodia" would have been too long a headline.

Ian - I'm curious to know which one of the 15 you have reservations about?

Malerie

Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
14,866 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 15 Most Memorable Attractions in Cambodia - Huff Post Travel

Hello malerie1, nice to hear from you.

Malerie, I didn't say so in my earlier postings but interesting as your piece was, I thought it a bit shallow for an experienced travel writer but this was accepted by me as being part journalistic licence and editorial space/word constraints.

All of your selections, except one, number 6, bring important aspects of Khmer heritage, culture and contemporary life to the attention of readers and prospective travellers. I liked the article and therefore brought it to the attention of others on Forum.

It is number 6 that stands out like a sore thumb and as a red flag waved before a bull as far as resident Khmers and those spending a lot of time in the Angkor region, yes region, are concerned; and to those interested in the preservation of the fragile local environment.

The soils in the Angkor region, and else where in Cambodia, are ancient soils and very fragile indeed and the spaces between the rice fields are intended for foot traffic, human and cloven, and for the very low impact of slow mooving ox cart wheels.

As you so correctly say, these trails are well rutted and snow mogul-like.in many places and are not to be treated in the same cavalier way as a slalom course on a fast downhill ski slope by multiple quad bikes on a very frequent basis. But taking twelve quad bikes - eight tourists and four guides - on a repetitive basis, is environmental vandalism by those doing so.

Even though the quad bike routes are varied somewhat from time-to-time it is still highly repetitive use of the same routes throughout the year/s. Please spare a thought or two for the long-suffering locals whose homes you passed and who have to endure these bikes year round and, often, several times a day. In the dry season the dust from these bikes and the blow-in/blow-out tourists riding them is near purgatory for the locals along their route.

Your matching photo says it all! Eight quad bikes nose-to-tail on a very sandy, fragile trail between the rice fields. This picture speaks a thousand words - but not the ones you may have intended.

There is nothing new or unique about adventure sports such as quad-biking. These activities can be enjoyed responsibly in most parts of the world so no need to go to Angkor for this. But they do not belong in the beautiful and tranquil environment of the Angkor region. To enjoy the beauty and serinity of the Angkor region please use low-impact means such as walking, cycling, horse rding or even ox cart travel and maintain the quiet serenity of the unique ancient time warp of Khmer agrarian life of the Angkor region. Quad bike riding has no place in the Khmer cultural order of things and certainly not in the Angkor region.

Enough said about Item 6.

Whilst responding to your enquiry, please permit me to mention a few other points for the benefit of the wider forum readership. Hotels/Guesthouses - there are an estimated 500 plus hotels/guesthouses in the Siem Reap area. Apsara are not to be casually dismissed as "Dancing maidens". And to say that Angkor Thom is called Uncle Tom is a journalistic fiction. Many of the heads on the southern causeway in to Angkor Thom are replicas, the many originals having been removed for reasons of security and research to the Conservation d'Angkor collection in Siem Reap.

There are many venues for viewing sunsets in the Angkor region and these are often discussed on this forum. It's just not necessary to access them on quad bikes to the detriment of the poor locals and the environment. Try a Tara sunset boat and buffet dinner cruise on the Tonle Sap for example - and there are others of a DIY nature.

I have stayed at the Plantation Hotel in Phnom Penh and regularly use it to dine and drink at with my Khmer friends and have done so in the past few weeks. I like it and enjoy it but I agree with you the staff is aloof. Alexis, the owner, will not like me saying this but the staff are over trained and have lost the natural warmth, spontenaity and joi de vivre so natural to Khmers. It starts at a very "stiff" reception desk unfortunately. But no different from so many hotels around the world. But let them loosen up and be natural, loveable, Khmers would be far nicer.

Malarie, I enjoyed your Huff Post piece and it was for this reason that I brought it to the attention of a far wider Cambodia Forum readership. It is a nice entree to savour pending digesting a far wider and wonderful Cambodia at all levels as a main course.

All best regards. Ian

Mentioned in this post
angkor
angkor
19 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Cambodia Quad Bike
Cambodia Quad Bike
807 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
The Siem Reap Hostel
The Siem Reap Hostel
1,204 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Angkor Thom
Angkor Thom
7,925 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Tara Lodge
Tara Lodge
184 Reviews
Kep, Cambodia
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,126 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 15 Most Memorable Attractions in Cambodia - Huff Post Travel

Thanks for coming here and clearing that up. :-)

In my opinion, I would have left off those quad bike tours. Not only do they pollute the environment, but they create serious dust problems for the locals.

Same with the hotel, it is just a hotel, and has nothing to do with the Khmer culture or history...