We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a trip to Cambodia

Rochester, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a trip to Cambodia

My husband and I are planning a trip a 16 night trip to Cambodia in August. We are flying into Siem Reap and out of Phnom Penh. Please can you suggest places to visit along the way. We enjoy culture, quiet locations and the beach. Within the itinerary we would like the opportunity to relax and unwind.

Thank you for your help.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,632 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a trip to Cambodia

Hi,

Siem Reap, Battambang, Phnom Penh and Kep/Kampot would be a good itinerary with plenty of variety.

Cheers

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a trip to Cambodia

As Paul says!

For some reading check out www.canbypublications.com and travel fish.

Happy planning.

Rochester, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a trip to Cambodia

Thank you both for the help and suggestions. The research continues!

Cleveland, Ohio...
Level Contributor
62 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a trip to Cambodia

I am in Cambodia now on a 14 day trip and will write a just back report when I return, but I wanted to say that a couple of my favorite days were side trips to prasat Preah vihear temple (a day trip up north), Bokor National Park (near Kampot), and Kirirom National Park. These are less traveled sites and are spectacular. We were the only tourists at Kirirom and Preah Vihear when we were there. You need a guide for Preah Vihear. All 3 are on mountains and are very different.

Rochester, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a trip to Cambodia

Hello Michelle. Thank you for sharing your favourite places. These sound like places we'd love to visit and the idea of them being quiet the icing on the cake.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday. I look forward to reading your report on your return.

Safe travelling.

Cleveland, Ohio...
Level Contributor
62 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a trip to Cambodia

I will be writing a just back report in a few days, but I wanted to let you know a couple of my favorites from my 14 day trip that I'm on now. I also flew into Siem reap and am flying out of Phnom Penh. My favorite side trips I've done have all be to mountains here. Preah vihear temple is a really interesting experience! You need a guide to get you there and if you are interested, private message me and I will give you contact info. I also loved Bokor National Park (stay in Kampot-which is also lovely-and talk to your guesthouse about getting a tour up to Bokor. Also go down to the river early in the morning in Kampot to see the fisherman bringing in their catches. Try to arrange a boat to take you out on the water at night. So nice). We also loved Kirirom National Park, but you might need a guide to get there if you aren't adventurous. We were the Only tourists there! It is spectacular though. Pine forests high on the mountain and then rainforest and waterfalls. Fake a bus from Phnom Penh to sihounokville and tell the driver you want off at Kirirom National Park. (Have a map to point to aince he lokely wkll npt speak english) You have to hire a motorbike up to the park. They charged us 20. Which was a ripoff we realized later. Should only be 10.

Edited: 5:50 pm, January 04, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio...
Level Contributor
62 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a trip to Cambodia

I didnt thonk mu last attempt posted since onternet keeps turning off: I will be writing a just back report in a few days, but I wanted to let you know a couple of my favorites from my 14 day trip that I'm on now. I also flew into Siem reap and am flying out of Phnom Penh. My favorite side trips I've done have all be to mountains here. Preah vihear temple is a really interesting experience! You need a guide to get you there and if you are interested, private message me and I will give you contact info. I also loved Bokor National Park (stay in Kampot-which is also lovely-and talk to your guesthouse about getting a tour up to Bokor. Also go down to the river early in the morning in Kampot to see the fisherman bringing in their catches. Try to arrange a boat to take you out on the water at night. So nice). We also loved Kirirom National Park, but you might need a guide to get there if you aren't adventurous. We were the Only tourists there! It is spectacular though. Pine forests high on the mountain and then rainforest and waterfalls. Fake a bus from Phnom Penh to sihounokville and tell the driver you want off at Kirirom National Park. (Have a map to point to aince he lokely wkll npt speak english) You have to hire a motorbike up to the park. They charged us 20. Which was a ripoff we realized later. Should only be 10.

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,309 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning a trip to Cambodia

Hello scottishtraveller70

I've noticed you say..."Within the itinerary we would like the opportunity to relax and unwind"

This is something that may interest you.

We also like to spend a little time just relaxing every now and then.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g608455-i14513-…

Have fun

Geneva
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning a trip to Cambodia

I suggest you to take a private driver to go around the country! My husband and I had a wonderful time traveling from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh and down to the seaside with Mr. Sna, a great driver, very humble and well educated. He became our private "trip advisor", explaining us the History and culture of Cambodia.

He drives very well, quite slowly (which is really RARE in this country!!) and asks for very reasonable price (not much more than the gas price!)

We were so happy that we did a simple blog to present him, have a look

cambodiadriver.wordpress.com

enjoy this beautiful country!

10. Re: Planning a trip to Cambodia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 07, 2014