We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

retiring in Cambodia.

brisbane
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Topic
retiring in Cambodia.

I have just returned from Phnom Penh for a 3 week holiday to see my fiancee and after my umpteenth visit i have called it a day and have decided to call Cambodia home as of next year.

I knew after my virst visit 7 years ago that somedat i would call this cohntry home and now that day has come!

My love for this place has increased year after year to such an extent that i could not delay any longer..

Having met my Cambodian partner and owning a property in Phnom Penh has made the deciscion easier also and certainly the fact that i turn 65 this year and therefore can offically stop workibg is a major factor.

I will not burn my bridges behind,it us imperative to stay in the healthsystem in my opinion,therefore to stay 6 months at a time seems a good start.

My partner is actively involved in 2 orphanages of which one is Hiv/aids and we both are passionately committed to those;so retirement is not really for me..

There are many people on this forum who live Cambodia and its people just as mucv as i do.....to then i ask the question.......

Have you ever considered settljng in Cambodia,wether temporarily or permanent.

Would you gave any doubts if yoh vould manage,FINANCIAL OR OTHERWISE.

For me personaly,the only stickinpoint(forgive the pun) is the HUMIDITY,but knly marginal.

.Take care.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,653 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: retiring in Cambodia.

Tom .. why not take a holiday to Cambodia and see for yourself?

Livermore...
6 posts
Save Reply
42. Re: retiring in Cambodia.

Yes I know I should do that and probaly willbut I was trying to geta feel from others that might have been there

Livermore...
6 posts
Save Reply
43. Re: retiring in Cambodia.

Yes that is the best way but I was trying to get a feel from others that have been there

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,790 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: retiring in Cambodia.

I'd be interested in your thinking.

If you've never been to Cambodia before or stayed there for any reasonable length of time, then how and why did you decide upon Cambodia for retirement?

What are the attraction in Cambodia that make you want to retire here?

Regards. Ian

Livermore...
6 posts
Save Reply
45. Re: retiring in Cambodia.

just in the thinking stage as of right now. All my interests have been moving to Belize, but I would really like better beaches

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,070 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: retiring in Cambodia.

You will not find decent beaches in Cambodia. Belize is very expensive, save your $$$ before heading there.

Livermore...
6 posts
Save Reply
47. Re: retiring in Cambodia.

Could you explain why Belize is so expensive, that goes againt everything I have heard and people have told me about Belize

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,070 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: retiring in Cambodia.

I am comparing it with Cambodia. It really makes sense to spend some time looking into these destinations instead of just listening to what people say, and then takign the initiative of actually going over and seeing the place with your own eyes. Ideally, you could spend a year or so living there to get a feel for the place to see whether or not you would actually want to retire there. There are plenty of Southeast Asian destinations that I adore, but there is no way in h*ll I would care to live there full time. Think safety, language barrier, healthcare, etc. Plenty to consider aside form quality of beaches...Consider a time-share or summer beach house, those are other options you have...

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,331 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: retiring in Cambodia.

I have never been to Belize but have been to Cambodia many times, however I agree with Maneki-neko that it would be vitally important to spend some considerable time in whichever destination you fancy before making such an enormously important decision. Yes, having a nice beach close by is very nice but it's the rest of the situation and environment which needs to be carefully checked to see if it would be ideal, not only long term but even as much as on a day to day basis.

The dream of 'jumping off' and living in a dream location is very powerful but the reality can sometimes be somewhat daunting and impractical. I don't want to put you off the idea of retiring to somewhere wonderful but you really do need to research, not only through word of mouth and through the internet, but also by visiting each place without the rose coloured glasses.

Edited: 7:12 am, July 03, 2013
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
484 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: retiring in Cambodia.

khmer440.com/k/…

Some very factual comments.

Edited: 4:51 am, July 04, 2013