We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Asia - anyone used this airline???

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
288 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Air Asia - anyone used this airline???

HI there....I was just wondering if anyone has used Air Asia for travelling around Thailand and Cambodia?? The fares are pretty reasonable.....

thanks

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Level Contributor
801 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Air Asia - anyone used this airline???

Thank you for your response. Has anyone had any experience

Bali-KL

KL-KK

KK-Sandakan

Sandakan-Kl

KL-Bangkok

Bangkok-Phuket-Bangkok

We have booked some connecting flights and are now a bit worried.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Malibu, California
Level Contributor
36 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Air Asia - anyone used this airline???

You DON'T want to book Air Asia. After several bad experiences we would NEVER use them again. They may LOOK CHEAP but when you have to pay another airline last minute because they yet again cancelled another flight forget it.

I would factor into your airfare the following:

- how much they may charge you for extra weight. Only the lightest bag will meet their 15K maximum and beyond that, it is so steep that you may double your air fare at the least!

- lodging and meals if they cancel a flight and you have to wait until the next day. Budget airlines won't compensate you for the extra expense and this is not even factoring in the inconvenience of arriving a day later to our destination (or more if they don't fly that route every day). We had to one time wait 3 days for the next flight

- how much it may cost to buy a last-minute ticket from another airline in case they cancel and make it so you can't get there or won't get there when you need to. It is a LOT if you have to pay another airline on the spot, and you have to PRAY they have room

This airline is LOOKING for you to break the rules in any way so they can sock you with a fee (luggage, being late, etc) and that's how they make their money.

They are NOT a sure thing and if you pay air fare and don't get to use the ticket for one of their problems, then they don't issue refunds either.

So you can KISS that money good-bye and say "hello" to many additional expenses plus a big hassle to straighten it all out.

We enlisted the aid of 3 different managers to try and help and they wouldn't budge even though it was THEIR fault they cancelled.

NEVER AGAIN!! And it's just not worth the unsureness for ANYBODY.

Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
786 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Air Asia - anyone used this airline???

Have a look at Bankok Airways 'Discovery Pass'. We found it to be excellent.

London - Bkk - PP
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Air Asia - anyone used this airline???

AirAsia are a cheap + cheerful airline, they do cancel the odd flight but so do bangkok airways, Thai airways + every other airline known to man! a few years ago Bangkok aiways were the 'AirAsia' of the skies and the same concerns were voiced about them - now they are regarded as the airline of choice for the discerning traveler. I fly frequently between Phnom Penh and Bangkok and i happily use both of these airlines and will continue to do so.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Air Asia - anyone used this airline???

Air Asia have just imposed an additional charge $2 per bag for checked baggage intended tp save wieght. I wonder whether they might be the first airline to weigh their passngers and charge per KG!!!

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Air Asia - anyone used this airline???

Air Asia have just imposed an additional charge $2 per bag for checked baggage intended tp save wieght. I wonder whether they might be the first airline to weigh their passngers and charge per KG!!!

Denver
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Air Asia - anyone used this airline???

We've just returned from SE ASia with a trip planned around Air Asia service. The costs were reasonable and the service very acceptable though we recommend you pay extra to book the "hot seats" in the front of the plane for early boarding. We got tired of the Air Asia bus to and from downtown KL and stayed at the Tune the last night. The room was very small but clean though we had to change rooms to get air con that worked.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
115 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Air Asia - anyone used this airline???

I have used Air Asia in my last 2 trips Feb 2009 and June 2008. Bangkok-Chiang return Bangkok - Phuket. Melb -KL KL=Phuket all several times each. Never experienced a problem they have been on time and well run. I use xpress board and have paid extra for luggage on some legs of trips but know you can increase your luggage on line. Food is not great. I am a big fan. Have booked a trip from Melb-KL-Saigon-Hanoi-Bangkok-Phuket-KL for $AUD465.00. We now travel twice a year thanks to Air Asia.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
55 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Air Asia - anyone used this airline???

I love air asia...i haven't used them long-haul [sadly they don't fly from syd yet]..but used them a number of times when using BKK as our base to travel.

Great airline - and i'm a light traveller so don't find the 15kg limit a problem at all. Its funny - my flight from PNH on airasia arrived 30minutes early to BKK...but my flight from BKK to SYD on qantas was delayed by 2hrs. None of my flights on airasia [10 flights] were late or had any major issues.

Mentioned in this post
Pochentong Airport
Pochentong Airport
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
johannesburg,southaf...
Level Contributor
665 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Air Asia - anyone used this airline???

Hi there,

Regarding Air Asia we have good and bad reports. We flew from Hanoi to KL and from KL to Siem Reap on AA in March and both flights were on time and most pleasant.

On the down side, we tried genuinely six times to change flights from Siem Reap to KL and from KL to Singapore - WE PHONED - ONLY GOT RECORDED ANNOUNCEMENTS. WE E-MAILED AND NEVER BUT NEVER GOT A RESPONSE. We therefore ended up paying for two flights that we never used. Interestinly enough I would have thought that the airline might have e-mailed us asking why we missed flights -we are Air Asia members.

By the way, we took a Jetstar flight directly from Siem Reap to Singapore to replace the above on the date that we wanted - the fare was most reasonable, the flight was fantastic on a brand new plane and left on time.

I guess it's "all up to the gods". We were most disappointed in the lack of communication on the part of Air Asia but they did deliver as well. WE HOPE THAT AA READS TRIPADVISOR AND SORTS OUT ITS COMMUNICATION PROBLEMS - IF AA SO DESIRES AFTER READING MY REPORT I AM MORE THAN WILLING TO COMMUNCATE WITH THEM.

We are planning to go to Singapore next year again and would really like to take a side trip to Guilin.Their flights to this fantastic destination which we visited several years ago offers a very reasonable fare - but - should we place our hand in the fire a fifth time (see above mention of four booked flights- two not taken). Is it really true that we must accept that you get what you pay for? - AA's website highlights that they have been voted 'low cost airline of the year' or something like that. Are the judges in this contest reading TA? Maybe they should!!! Good luck to all TA contributors and others that fly low cost airlines.

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Guilin
Guilin