We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency Exchange

Manchester, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Currency Exchange

I'm going to Myanmar Next year. I've read there are no atms at all in the entire country, but most places accept American dollars. I'm a little wary of bringing a bunch of American cash on the trip, since I will be in Asia for about three weeks prior to going to Myanmar. I've read I can exchange thai baht for usd in bangkok and at bkk airport, but I'm not sure if the exchanged usd will be in good enough condition to be accepted in burma. Should I just bring my own usd or do the exchange? Any help is appreciated.

Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
106 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency Exchange

Think you are in the wrong forum as this is Brunei forum and not Burma. Having said that, I find it hard to believe that there's no ATM at all in Myanmar. Then again, I have never been there and you might be right.

I would suggest you bring some cash - whether its USD or some other. Can't rely too much on your cards as your cards might get damaged on your 3 weeks journey or worst still, swallowed up by the machine - which can be a hassle if its an offsite ATM machine and no one could open it up for you. Keep your cash handy especially when you can't use your cards in certain places / countries.

And oh, make sure you card will not expire any time soon on your travel. I have seen people traveling with cards that are already expired. ;-)

All the best and happy traveling!

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
18,088 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency Exchange

Wow, this is not the first time that a post that should be for Burma was posted here in Brunei.

Pls. repost your question at the Myanmar/Burma forum.

I suggest you just buy USD there in your country rather than anywhere else. If you buy USD in Thailand your currency will be converted to THB then from THB it will be converted to USD.

A twice conversion will make your money to devaluate more rather than just buying USD in your country.

3. Re: Currency Exchange

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, December 18, 2010