We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kota Kinabalu Brunei Sandakan

Which Bandar Seri Begawan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
772 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Kota Kinabalu Brunei Sandakan

Hi,

We are looking at doing a trip based in Kota Kinabalu in Jan. There are 2 adults and 3 children(14, 12, 10 yrs). We are thinking about 10 days and would like to visit Turtle Island Orang-utan's in Sepilok and maybe Brunei. Is this feasible? Can anyone give us a suggsted itnerary and accomodations

THanks

Lisa

Huntingdon, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Kota Kinabalu Brunei Sandakan

Hi Lisa,

I'm not sure what your package includes, but it seems fairly reasonable. I'll tell you what we did, and who with, and you can judge for yourself!

We (me and the hubby) flew to Sandakan from KK for the early morning feed at Sepilok Orangutan Sanctuary (flight not included). Then, a drive into Sandakan with lunch. Then, a 2 and half hour boat ride onto the Kinabatangan river, staying at the Sukau Rainforest Lodge. We had 2 nights and 3 days there, doing various boat safari's. Saw loads of wildlife, including orangutans and the elusive Borneo Pygmy elephants.

On the last day, we transferred back to Sandakan, where we visited the Agnes Keith house and the Australian War Memorial (very interesting, and obviously quite harrowing) and I think we also had afternoon tea looking over the bay. All meals were provided, and the lodge was fantastic. The guides were very knowledgeable and spoke excellent English.

We booked with Borneo Eco Tours, and it looks like the price has gone up since we went during xmas and new year 2005. We booked package no.BB7D on their website. If you work the price out times 5 people it comes to approx $2114 Australian dollars, although i'm not sure if kids get a cheaper rate.

As I said before, you know what is included in your trip so only you can make the judgement call about how good the price is.

We would recommend anyone to do a similar trip as we did, we loved every minute of it.

Let me know if you want to know anything else.

Lesley

Sydney
Level Contributor
772 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Kota Kinabalu Brunei Sandakan

Thank you Lesley,

The trip we are looking at is as follows.

Itinerary :-

Day 1 arrival at Sandakan airport by flight AK5160 Afternoon, boat cruise to see birds, proboscis monkeys & other wildlife gather by the river bank. Dinner & O/n at Bilit Lodge. (L/D)

(1 Twin/1 Triple, Standard Air-Cond. Room)

Day 2 Early morning cruise to see sunrise. Return to Bilit Lodge for breakfast. By 0930 hrs, depart Bilit for Sandakan. Transfer to Sepilok Jungle Resort (SJR). Check in resort. , depart for Sepilok Orang Utan Centre. Witness the afternoon feeding of orang utans in the forest. Video show. Visit to the Exhibition Hall. Stay overnight at SJR. (B/L)(1 Mini Suite with 1 Double/1 Triple Bed with Balcony)

Day 3 Breakfast. At 0815hrs, pick up from SJR and transfer to CQ Jetty for a boat ride direct to Turtle Island. . Afternoon, great time to swim on the sandy beach. chalet. Lunch included. Afternoon. Dinner. Standby at the cafeteria to wait for Ranger's signal before proceed in a small group on the process of turtle activities. O/n at Island Chalet. (B/L/D) (1 Double/1 Triple, Standard Air-Cond. with Common Bathroom)

28/12/2007 After breakfast, depart island and return to mainland. Drop off at Sandakan hotel/airport for flight MH/AK (?) hrs. (B). End of services.

I am not sure of the pricing as yet but I think it will be under $AUD2000. Is this a fair price and are these tours worth doing?

Cheers

Lisa

Huntingdon, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Kota Kinabalu Brunei Sandakan

Hi Lisa,

It's difficult to say whether your trip is worthwhile. It depends on what you want to get out of it. Looking at your itinery, personally I feel you have an awful lot of time travelling to places, and not a lot of time enjoying what Sandakan and the Kinabatangan have to offer. Sometimes it's just best to stay in one place and see what comes to you!

Like I said before, we haven't done the turtles, so I don't know if the price you are paying is reasonable.

As for it being worthwhile to visit the area, a definite yes from me! We absolutely loved our trip, and if there weren't so many other great places to see in this part of the world we wouldn't hesitate to do the Kinabatangan again. We also visited Danum Valley in Sabah earlier on this year, and were not disappointed!

I've been looking on the website of the company we went with, and they offer a turtle and orangutan package for RM938 per person, so it seem like your not getting too bad a deal.

If you're not sure about your package, look on the internet. To be honest, there is probably not much between them. Obviously some companies will be more geared towards putting more of your money back into the local economy and the rainforest, whereas others will be more interested in lining their own pockets. I know the lodge we stayed at had all local river people working for them, and they also offer tree planting as one of their perks. You know, the jungles of Sabah are diminishing fast due to a large part of Sabah now being covered with Palm Oil plantations (you will notice this when you fly to Sandakan). It all depends how 'Green' you want to be!

If there's anything else I can help you with, let me know.

Lesley

14. Re: Kota Kinabalu Brunei Sandakan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 am, September 09, 2009