We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunderban Trip from Dhaka in November without pre-booking ?

Which Dhaka City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Sunderban Trip from Dhaka in November without pre-booking ?

Would anyone have any idea what the chances of booking a trip down the river to the Sunderban out of Dhaka on the day of departure. Would this be possible and if so would there be any likelihood of negotiating a better deal. I'm a lone traveler. Any suggestions and advice would be greatly received. Regards JT

UK
Level Contributor
869 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunderban Trip from Dhaka in November without pre-booking ?

Hi,

Good to hear of your journey to Bangladesh. This is going back a few years now, but I have met Sunderban travellers on the Rocket Steamer that start their journey from Shadarghat. They used get off at Mongla port and then started their journey to the Sunderbans forest with guides from that point onward.

It might be difficult for arranging a trip directly to the Sunderbans on the day of departure, as you will need an English speaking guide to get you into the forest. However it will then be more of a sellers market and prices might be less negotiable.

I would start asking for quotes from guides now to get an idea.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunderban Trip from Dhaka in November without pre-booking ?

Thanks a million, I'll do exactly that.

JT

UK
Level Contributor
869 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunderban Trip from Dhaka in November without pre-booking ?

No worries mate.

The Sunderbans trip is truly a proper adventure. During your negotiations with guides/companies, ask if their package includes:

- Otter fishing-you are taken on small boats where you will see live trained otters jump into the water and help haul in fish and appranetly quite unique.Videos avaliable on youtube.

- Fresh honey collecting-while you will be taken deep into the Sunderbans forest you get to join honey collectors.

- Includes armed guards: just incase you run into Tigers!

personally I think the last option should be mandatory for all guided tours into the Sunderbans forest.

UK
Level Contributor
869 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunderban Trip from Dhaka in November without pre-booking ?

Just another thought....as you are inside the UK, there are several Bangladesh Travel Agents in London (dont know about Scotland). You might see if they have anything to offer.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunderban Trip from Dhaka in November without pre-booking ?

Thanks a million for that, I really appreciate all this valuable advice.

Much appreciated.

JT

denmark
Level Contributor
628 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunderban Trip from Dhaka in November without pre-booking ?

JMT33,

How many days dó you expect to use on a trip to the Sunderbans?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunderban Trip from Dhaka in November without pre-booking ?

Hi Ki456, I would be happy to spend a week from start at Dhaka till the end of my Sundarban trip back at Khulna or Jessore perhaps.

JT

Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunderban Trip from Dhaka in November without pre-booking ?

I think, traveling in Sundarbans alone is not possible because of you need permission, armed guard and a guy to exchange your language. But if you take a person who work in tourism that can be easier to do what you want. There are many operators for that place.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunderban Trip from Dhaka in November without pre-booking ?

Hi JonR, thanks for the advice, I.m thinking I MAY just book a trip out of Dhaka for the Sunderban before I leave the UK. I have a few more weeks to investigate before my departure. I appreciate all the good advice I'm receiving, it's all very helpful.

Thanks to one and all !

JT

denmark
Level Contributor
628 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunderban Trip from Dhaka in November without pre-booking ?

I can recommend Guide tours and Bengal tours for Sundarban.

Get answers to your questions about Dhaka City