We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa for USA Citizen

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
230 posts
193 reviews
Save Topic
Visa for USA Citizen

Hello all,

What's the best and fastest way to get a visa to visit Baku? I'm planning to fly in from USA to Frankfurt to Baku. It sounds like I need to get my hotel first and then they can send an "invite". Any truth in that? Please help.

Thanks

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa for USA Citizen

Yes you will need a hotel reservation. Have you looked at the embassy website.......

azembassy.us/visa-service/single-entry-visa.…

London
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa for USA Citizen

Yes, hotel reservation might be sufficient to apply for AZ visa through the embassy in Washington or consulate in LA. You will need a hotel's headed paper confirmation for that. Keep in mind that there are major public holidays coming in AZ, so all public institutions will be closed from 20-27 March.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
230 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa for USA Citizen

Thank you for the info. If I submit after the AZ holidays, how long would it normally take to get the visa?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa for USA Citizen

We got ours in Canada quite fast. I think it was something like 10 days including time in the mail. The trick is to make sure you have everything they ask for and have no mistakes in the application.

London
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa for USA Citizen

Processing timeline varies from embassy to embassy, but generally is around 3-5 working days. I guess you will need to add up couple of days for postage... Again not sure about your travel circumstances, but evisa might be a good option for you (it will take though around 2 weeks to be arranged, but no need to send your docs anywhere).

Morgan Hill, ca
Level Contributor
8 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa for USA Citizen

EVisa is a sick joke. The website is not finished. You fill out the form, then make a hard copy to send to Los Angeles. Your visa will cost $160 if you are American. The Embassy no longer processes visas. Take the word of the man who answers, when he answers, because we actually drove to LA to present our papers in person in case there was a question. LA's man accepted all the paperwork he told us about. We could have done it by US express mail (cheaper by far than FedEx). The evisa with an agency in Baku is even worse. It is supposed to cost $20 BUT each agency has fees and all are different and most bring the price up to that of the $160 embassy fee. Then you have to trust that the agent will not just steal your money. None of them take credit cards. Billutur's manager gave me a lot of wrong information. He said the photos had to be with a neutral expression, no smiling. Not true. He gave the wrong size for the photos and said you needed two. LA said smiling is OK, just bring the normal 2 x 2 passport photo, one only. They photograph your visa picture for your passport. We dropped the materials on a Monday, he mailed passports back on Friday.

The holiday (Now Ruz) apparently extends over whatever they tell you. It is a normal 13 day holiday in Iran celebrating the Persian (Zoroaster) New Year. It would appear that the Azerbaijanis welcome the holiday with equal enthusiasm as they did not answer today (Friday) either. I would not send anything to the consulate until you know for certain that staff is back from Now Ruz. Call between 10 am and 1 pm, Monday, Wednesday and Friday only.

Answering the phone is another issue. The consulate in LA is in a large office building in Santa Monica and AZ has a very bad rep with the guards for not answering when they are supposed to be open. You cannot go to their office if they do not answer and approve your entering the elevator. We were lucky and our man there answered for us both times we went there.

As for transit visas, they are ONLY for you to stay over in the airport. You may not leave without a regular visa.

London
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa for USA Citizen

I don't think all your information is right. Evisa is working and so far proved to be a very convenient way to get entry visa. 20$ is just a consular fee, obviously travel agents will add commission for their services, not sure what's wrong with that? Still it is cheaper to pay $100-120 for evisa than 160$ in consular fees, plus posting your docs to embassy or wasting your time if doing it personally. And they do accept card payments, you just contacted the wrong travel agency. There are a lot of success stories on this forum with recomendations for reliable agents.

New York
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa for USA Citizen

I have used evisa. I had Mexico trip and had only 20 days to Baku trip and I was worried that I will not get my passport back on time for the trip.

Eviza worked very well I got my paper in 4 days and my US passport was with me all the time. Scanned all paperwork and submitted.

9. Re: Visa for USA Citizen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 am, July 15, 2015