We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Islamic New YEar

Sharjah, UAE
Level Contributor
3 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Islamic New YEar

Will places of interest be closed due to the Islamic New Year around Nov. 15, 2012? I would like to visit Nov. 15-17, but wonder if sights to visit will be closed or not. Any info?

Dubai, Dubai...
14 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Islamic New YEar

Azerbaijan is a secular westernised state and Islamic New Year is NOT celebrated. Everything will be open and available :-) Be prepared for cold weather (maybe even snow, so look out for weather forecasts. In any case temps will be around 13-15C day time (max 18-20C) and 7-10 at night you will need a coat and a jumper. I hope you go there and enjoy your trip. Be sure to get visa in advance from our Consulate in Deira near Reef Mall :-) I hope more people go to Azerbaijan form UAE - a perfect weekend destination.

Edited: 2:58 pm, September 21, 2012
Sharjah, UAE
Level Contributor
3 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Islamic New YEar

Thanks for the info; appreciate it. Hope it will work out, esp. since I went to Armenia last yr. and I know the Azerbaijan gov't. might not like that in my passport. Will try to get approval. Would love to go.

Dubai, Dubai...
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Islamic New YEar

You should be fine even with the Armenian stamp - we are not like the Arabs with the Israelis. The only requirement is that if you are entering Karabakh, you have to enter it via Azerbaijan, to respect our recognised territorial integrity and the Intl Law. Problem is for those who entered Karabakh via Armenia - they are declared persona non-grata in Azerbaijan. Also, you might be questioned a bit more if you have Armenian name (which I can see you don't) and for your own safety not granted the visa (state security guarantees are routinely provided to Armenians who visit Azerbaijan with official purpose - sport, cultural event, or government event). Would love to hear if you have succeeded or not! As minimum, there are 1 million bitter and frustrated refugees in the country who do not necessarily like Armenians too much.

4. Re: Islamic New YEar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, December 09, 2013