We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Status for women in Baku

Which Baku hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Status for women in Baku

I will be spending time in Baku. I understand that western style clothing like jeans and sneakers are ok. How about shorts, sleveless tops and short skirts, and open shoes ,sandals. I am looking forward to this trip!

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
83 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Status for women in Baku

The girls in Baku dress FAR more sexily than anything you'll see in Canada. Imagine a night at an expensive night club and that's how many women dress in Baku.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
232 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Status for women in Baku

Baku is a very open-minded city, you will see women wearing traditional Muslim clothes and absolutely western outfits with high heels, short skirts, open tops. However, men in Baku pay quite a lot of attention to females on the streets by making compliments, whistling, etc. You may take it with humour or you may be annoyed, the choice is up to you :)

Atlanta/Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Status for women in Baku

Unfortunately, to reduce the attention, I would keep your clothing tasteful but simple. Yes Azeri women do dress sexy, but they will not likely experience the same amount of harassment as you will as a foreigner. I disagree with Nastya-the poster above me. Baku is not open minded at all and not very use to diversity (please look at their visa laws and how difficult it is to get into the country and that shows alone that they are not open minded). She is right in one thing, the men are atrociously ill-mannered and some of the women too can be unwelcoming and equally obnoxious. This is a muslim country and I think it is best to err on the side of being tasteful, and simple. What one can get away with in a western country without a blink of an eye, cannot happen in this developing country. Please note, this is a DEVELOPING country. it is NOT on par with Paris, London, New York or other major western cities. Safe travels.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
232 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Status for women in Baku

goMalago, visas policies are normally balanced between the countries. I can assure you that it is more difficult for Azeri people to get a visa to the US then it is for you to get an Azeri visa. If the USA complicated visa issues for Azeris, I would expect some 'new rules' for Americans as a response measure.

I cannot understand why you compare Baku with western cities and what is the point of DEVELOPING country. It's just about culture. I would compare Baku with Istanbul, they are pretty close. Act descently, and you will have no problems.

Atlanta/Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Status for women in Baku

Then you are supporting my point that Baku, Azerbaijan is not open minded as a capital/country for they even make it challenging for their own people to obtain a visa to the U.S. which stifles their growth and shows apparent in how ignorant some of the people are.

In addition, I emphasize that it is a developing because it is a young nation newly free and looking to keep pace with other more diverse, well developed larger cities. In doing that, it is also trying to DEVELOP it's image as well show it's own culture (which is lacking might I add for nothing is authentic). This is the reason i say it is a DEVELOPING country. It is 3rd world at best with it's antiquated human rights laws and shakespearean speech compared to Turkey. There is no way to separate the country itself from the people that it lives in( i.e. culture), for the people are responsible for it's own country and I merely notice a few details that I find particularly discomforting. The poster asked about clothing and style of dress that is appropriate for women and I would feel terribly bad if she went to Baku in high heels, a mini skirt and minding her own business only to attract the attention of men who perpetuate gender inequalities (because they very disrespectful) by staring at her, propositioning her or following her (all plausible forms of harassment) then she will likely have a terrible experience-unforgettable. I only suggest to that poster that she must dress in simple tasteful clothes to stave off the attention from men. I agree with you, act decently (there is no S in the word decent) and you will have no problems. Perhaps it is not me who you should advise, but your own beloved country for Azerbaijanis have little to no clue as to what it means to act decently. It is a 3rd world country with 3rd world culture and acts accordingly. I wish her safe travels.

Aktau, Kazakhstan
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Status for women in Baku

Dear goMalago,

You can absolutely have your own opinion about any country and city in the world. I never visited your country and of course I can’t compare but if you consider Azerbaijan as a 3rd world and ignorant country and publically point out mistake (which is most probably just a misprint) of a non-native English speaker, whose English grammar and writing abilities are in my opinion perfect, then I would say that it’s you who is ignorant and for you it is better to stay where you are drinking coffee in Starbuks. I have many American and European friends who like Baku very much. Yes, men do pay a lot of attention to women there, which can be annoying but I would say that in this regard I was more feeling uncomfortable travelling first time to Dubai. Knowing that it is a Muslim county I was wearing a long skirt with a T-shirt. Notwithstanding this fact men were turning their heads to my side but I would never say that people in this country are ignorant because there are different people with personal culture in any country. In Baku I never heard any rude word from any man. The airport service in Baku is perfect, much better than in London or Frankfurt. If you are in transit, airport employee takes your passport and does everything what is needed, you will only need to wait for your flight in the transit hall and they will bring your documents and ticket back by scheduled time wishing you a pleasant flight.

With regard to visas regimes I agree with Nastya, it is always mutual arrangement of the countries and I don’t see a reason why Americans should easily come to THIRD WORLD COUNTRIES while citizens of these countries experience difficulties with getting American visa.

In my opinion Baku is a pleasant city, with many shops, cafes, restaurants, theaters, cinemas and concert halls. The latter are mostly in Azeri language but I doubt that there is a theater or cinema in Atlanta in Azeri language. If you were unable to recognize the beauty of this city and were bored during your trip, than I can only sympathize you.

Atlanta/Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Status for women in Baku

Well you are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine. Cheers!

Azerbaijan
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Status for women in Baku

AZerbaijan is very AMAZing Country...

Ladies are very beautiful and sexy. They dress like TOP MODELs.

In AZerbaijan LAdies ARE Ladies !!!!!

And all men respect ladies. In this land you understand that you are Lady, and you are attractive :))

What about visa...yes there is a little problem. But not for ALL. If you Havent been in "Karabakh State" which is not official and was founded in occupied AZeri historical land, then you will get your visa.

Good luck...

FOr more information you can contact email below

discoverAzerbaijan@box.az

Dubai, Dubai...
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Status for women in Baku

I'm a woman and I can tell the place is very secular and cool for women. BUT expect that if you dress in skimpy skirts and high heels and have no man beside you (a friend, a boyfriend) people (men that is) will think "you need a company" and might behave in a strange way that one may deem as offensive others as flattering depending on your character. So if you are alone, dress normally - trousers and a t-short, or even shorts, vests, knee or slightly above knee height dresses . Azeri men will make sure a pretty woman knows she is pretty by expressing it in a not very subtle way, true. They will either whistle or wink or just look after you... They especially like fit blonds (surprise, surprise). even if they are dressed modestly. So be prepared for the attention but understand there is nothing sinister in it and you just need to ignore them. if you don't ignore them and react in any way (negative or positive), they will take it as invitation for furthering their advancements so to say. So just ignore them, don't even look in their direction. A couple of pretty young non-Azeri looking Europeans will surely make Azeri man to express his admiration this way or the other. Don't take it badly. if you are not fitting that beauty criteria and are dressed normally (that is not provokingly even as per Western standards) you can be absolutely sure that nobody will bother you. So, what Azeri men do is just let certain pretty ladies know that they are pretty and that does not necessarily mean anything bad. This is also in response to bitter goMalago :-)

Dayton, Ohio
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Status for women in Baku

I am an african american male and i,ve been talking to a girl from baku we are ready to move in with each other shes likes me a lot but i must say i am a little concerned she looks like a top model most american girls like that are materialistic are girls form baku like that or is it just normal for them to look hot and sexy all the dam time.I like it dont get me wrong i dont think she is materialistic she wants to work and have a family she does not ask me for nothing but love and trust what advice can some one give me on making things comfortable for her when she comes i know america can be a huge change for a foriengner

Get answers to your questions about Baku