We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yet another visa thread

Adria, Italy
Level Contributor
195 posts
622 reviews
Save Topic
Yet another visa thread

Hi everyone,

like many people here, I'm finding that getting a visa seems to be the main chore when it comes to visiting Azerbaijan.

If anyone has success stories about getting the visa, I'd appreciate it if they could post here or PM me, in particular regarding which state-recognised travel agency sorted out the invitation for them.

I ask as a lot of replies to the threads seem to be from the Azeri travel agencies themselves, and obviously they "big themselves up"!

My own situation is that I'm planning on visiting Azerbaijan next year (so no rush!) I'm a UK citizen, but live in Italy. E-visa seems to be the way to go, but given uncertain processing time I'm worried about (a) applying too early, then the e-visa expires after 30 days, or (b) applying too late, and missing my flight!

Any advice gratefully accepted. Many thanks.

Mentioned in this post
London
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Yet another visa thread

Apply for e-visa as this is a good and easy option. Apply around 2-3 months before your expected travel date. E-visa is going to be valid for 1 month with a number of days indicated that you are allowed to stay within that period. The visa validity starts from a date of your intended first entry that you put in your application. At the moment processing timeline for e-visa is around 4 weeks, so to be on a safe side apply around 2 months before your travel and you will be ok. There are couple of trusted agencies that process e-visas and are recommended by travelers for a number of years: Stantours.com, Azerbaijan24.com

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Yet another visa thread

Azerbaijan is promoting tourism heavily but it seems they hate tourists! The Azerbaijan Visa Centre are very rude and they don't even have a telephone number for you to contact them for update on your application! They seem more interested in charging you more money and pressure you into the urgent service costing £165.00 on their website it states 6 days for this service. I went back after 10 days and they told me it's 12 days if I include weekends! They refused to help and give it to me one day earlier which meant I had to change my flights and lost the money I paid for the hotel in Baku. I later found out that United Kingdom and USA tourists wanting to visit Azerbaijan pay triple in Visa fees compared to all other countries! Azerbaijan is a business, not a democracy! To make matters worse there is no guarantee that I will be granted a Visa. Appalling service, as a tourist I'm already put off by visiting Azerbaijan. I wish now I had not booked my flights and hotel, I do not ever want to visit this country if tourists are hustled in this way. The Azeris in the London Visa Cenre seemed very unfriendly, unhelpful and unwelcoming. It doesn't hurt for them to smile, especially as first time tourists to Azerbaijan. Never again.

Mentioned in this post
Baku
Baku
Absheron Region, Azerbaijan
London
London
England, UK
London
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Yet another visa thread

Visas are problems indeed when it comes to AZ. Visa costs is disputable matter though, as Azeri visa costs are based on reciprocal basis - what the other country charge AZ citizens for visa, the same Azerbaijan charges citizens of those countries. I think it is fair enough. And why Americans & British charges so much for their visas comparing to other countries is another and very interesting matter.

As a way to avoid such high costs and avoid facing AZ embassy staff people should appy for e-visas that are around 100$ from the travel agencies. It is cheaper than paying 150$ in consular fees + separate fees to get LOI.

Mentioned in this post
Adria, Italy
Level Contributor
195 posts
622 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yet another visa thread

Raul, drDKing, many thanks for your advice.

In the end my experience of getting an e-visa was very easy, and I've started a thread on it at tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293933-i9346-k719…

Atyrau, Kz
Level Contributor
8 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yet another visa thread

Hi There,

I have obtained numerous Azeri business visas over the years (1 year multi-entry) without issue. The visa process is now outsourced in UK and is a lot quicker.....weeks rather than months! As long as you have the all the paperwork in hand with your application, the process is around 10 days (excluding weekends, holidays and Embassy days off) to have the visa in your hand!

I do use a consular service (CIBT to name one) which I can recommend for Azeri Tourist and Business visa a like. I believe they can provide the required LOI to!

6. Re: Yet another visa thread

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:25 am, February 18, 2015