We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour operator or private guide/driver?

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
748 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Tour operator or private guide/driver?

Hi forum,

We (two adults) are thinking of going to Azerbaijan for about 10 days this summer. We would like to spend some time in Baku, but would also like to go somewhere else, and experience other parts of the country.

I'm finding it hard to find any tour operators that come recommended. Can anyone help?

We would assume that we would need someone to both drive and do light guiding when travelling outside Baku.

Thanks ahead.

Hunbille

Edited: 7:35 am, January 09, 2013
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour operator or private guide/driver?

You can try Victory Tour based in Baku: www.victorytour.az

Their guide and driver were very good. Our only problem with them was with a couple of the hotels they used. Before we booked the tour we researched their choices and questioned them. We were told not to worry and that the hotels were good and used by all the tour groups. Well... one of them was terrible so they did move us to a better hotel but at extra cost.

Personally we found that 5 days was enough for Azerbaijan even though we liked Baku very much. Our tour included Baku and area, Shamakha, Ismayilly, Lahij, Kish and Sheki. From Sheki we countinued on into Georgia.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
748 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour operator or private guide/driver?

Thanks for getting back to me. Would you share what hotels you stayed in, so I can draw from your experiences?

I assume the driver and guide were the same person?

Thanks!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour operator or private guide/driver?

In Baku we stayed at a boutique hotel ---http://www.egoist.az/

It was a $5 cab ride from the old city. It was OK with a nice big room. Only 14 rooms total. We were a little worried because the hallway carpet had stains but our room was very clean.Baku has all of the big chain hotels so there is a lot of choice there.

Near Ismayilly we stayed at a resort hotel which was out of town. The Gaya Resort Hotel. It was good. We were the only tourists there along with about 75 archaelogists from all over the world. Couldn't find any info on it though.

Sheki is where we had the problems. See TA ratings for both --- tripadvisor.ca/Hotels-g666445-Sheki_Shaki_Za…

The Karavansarai that was the dump and the very nice Sheki Saray is where we ended up staying at.

We had a driver and a guide. We didn't specify but that's what Victory Tours supplied.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
748 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour operator or private guide/driver?

Thanks again, beentheredonethat.

I tried contacting them by email twice, but have not yet heard from them - I wonder if they seized to exist?

So if anyone else has info on a reliable touroperator or driver/guide, I'd still love to hear about them.

Hunbille

5. Re: Tour operator or private guide/driver?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:05 pm, May 14, 2013
6. Re: Tour operator or private guide/driver?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, May 16, 2014