We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should i add Armenia to me trip in Georgia?

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Should i add Armenia to me trip in Georgia?

Hi

By mid sep me and my wife are going to travel in Georgia for 16 days.

Do you think we should travel in Armenia as well?

I have been reading about Armenia and cant really understand whether it worth it.

if you think we should , 4-5 days itinerary would be great!

Thanks

Niro

Yerevan, Armenia
Level Contributor
34 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should i add Armenia to me trip in Georgia?

Hello Niro!

Of course, you should visit Armenia. Though it's much smaller than Georgia it has an amazingly diverse landscape, about 15.000 historical monuments. That's why it's known as "a museum under the open air". No wonder as it's the world's first Christian country since 301 A. D. !!! I don't think 4-5 days are enough to see even the half of the countries highlights but you could definitely have time to see a few "must see" places such as Echmiadzin (the Holy See of the Armenian Apostolic Church) with its world's oldest official church, Garni pagan temple and Roman bath (the only Hellenistic temple in the former USSR), Lake Sevan, Dilijan town and the old monasteries in the forests around the town. And of course, Haghpat Monastery (UNESCO) which is near the Georgian Armenian border if you are coming through Sadakhlo border.

You should also visit Noy brandy wine factory (founded in 1877). If you have time do visit Tatev Monastery by riding the world's longest cable car (5.7km) built by the Swiss in 2010. The views are breathtaking!

Best Regards,

Mariam Ghazarian

Licensed Tourist Guide

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
80 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should i add Armenia to me trip in Georgia?

I want to armenia and its really worth it. Its layed backed and really fun people. You can rent a car or take a cab from tbilisi to go to yerevan or other parts of armenia. Not far from the georgian border dilijian is a great city to visit. If you are able to go the south of armenia you can go to tatev and noravank which are probably some of the best monastaries in the country. Theres also a wine town called areni where they found the oldest evidence of wine production.The food in armenia overall is amazing and you should go try some in yerevan. In yerevan you can go to a good restaurant called oregano and there is one called the club which has really good food and some nights live armenian singing which makes the meal a lot better. If you have any other questions just ask me.

Yerevan, Armenia
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Should i add Armenia to me trip in Georgia?

Hi,

Yes for sure it is worth to go to Armenia, which is ancient country with rich culture and traditions. I would recommend to spend at least 4 days in Armenia.

4. Re: Should i add Armenia to me trip in Georgia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, January 09, 2013
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
63 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should i add Armenia to me trip in Georgia?

Yes, absolutely. We went to Armenia last June. Visit Garni Gorge, don't miss Khor Virap monastery and wonderful views of Mt Ararat, Goris and caves, Amberd Fortress is particularly beautiful in spring with the spring flowers - it is like paradise on earth.

Have a great time. We didn't visit Georgia as no time, sounds fantastic and a must do in the future.

6. Re: Should i add Armenia to me trip in Georgia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 pm, May 26, 2013
Caracas, Venezuela
Level Contributor
3 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should i add Armenia to me trip in Georgia?

I just visited Armenia for five days, and I have never been to Georgia.

Based on my visit to Armenia, I would surely recommend that you add it to your trip! I was amazed at the landscapes, the history, the excellent service we received everywhere, and the warmth of the people.

I have read that September is a very good time of the year to visit Armenia, so that would be a fact to be taken in consideration.

In addition to visiting the main sites in Yerevan, the capital city of this small country, I would visit at least Echmiadzin (the site of the Catolicosate, which is like the Vatican of the Armenian Apostolic Church), Garni (a pagan temple), Geghard (an amazing monastery with several chapels built directly in the rocks of the mountain), Khor Virap (with amazing views of the Ararat) and Lake Sevan and the church that sits now in a peninsula that until recently was an island.

We were told there were many other very interesting sites, but we only had five days ... We were also told that there are breathtakingly beautiful places to go hiking in Armenia.

Good luck with your trip! Have fun!

Yerevan, Armenia
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should i add Armenia to me trip in Georgia?

Dear Luciafernandez62,Have you been in Tatev Monastery ?Its really wonderful place ,if no I advice you next time make connected tour with Georgia and explore southeastern part of Armenia.According hiking there is good place at Tavush region called Lastiver .If you need more information I am always at your disposal .Enjoy your memories about sunny Armenia .

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
131 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should i add Armenia to me trip in Georgia?

Five days would give you a nice taste of Armenia, but I was there for twelve and found each day to be special! It really is lovely and there are some beautiful peaceful landscapes. Zvartnots temple, Garni and Geghard as a one day trip was probably my favorite single tour, but I also loved seeing Kharahunj and the whole Nagorno-Karabakh part. Here's my trip report if you'd like a further view and picture link:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293931-i9477-k674…

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
280 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should i add Armenia to me trip in Georgia?

Armenia is truly worth a visit , it's history, diverse landscape , Monasteries ,food it is truly is worth a visit. I enjoyed Dillijan it looks like New England/Bavaria there in the Fall with the changing of the leaves. Even Yerevan makes a good base for exploring Echmiadzin, Garni, Geghard ,Khor Virup are within a half an hour drive from the city. You'll see Mt. Ararat on a clear day from Yerevan Taxis are inexpensive. Check the visa requirements you may get an e-visa in which you'll get thru on arrival at the border.

Edited: 12:22 am, September 20, 2013