We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Viet gal going to VN for 13 days!

Tustin, CA
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Viet gal going to VN for 13 days!

Hi TA friends!

Going to Nha Trang the last 2 wks of Feb. My fiance's parents are doing an apt swap with another couple in Nha Trang (and that couple will be going to Sonoma, CA) so they'll be there 1/28-3/6 but we can only stay for 2 wks.

We are flying roundtrip into HCM and need arrangments to go to Nha Trang. I've read to fly VN Airlines as it is a short 1 hr flight and ~$50 USD. Should I book my flight ahead or can I purchase when I arrive? What is the process from getting from HCM airport and going to Cam Ranh Airport? I believe we'll take a taxi to the apt in Nha Trang when we arrive.

Next, the future in-laws want to go to Halong Bay, Dalat and Hanoi and Angkor Wat. (we have no desire or time to go to Angkor Wat) Any suggestions how to go about doing that? Should we find a local tour to take us? They have 2 months but we would be cramming as much sight seeing in 13 days.

I'd like to see (in no particular order):

1) Halong Bay and the Caves- can anyone suggest a cruise tour? Should we do an overnight one or day tour?

2) Cu Chi Tunnels

3) Dalat: I've heard its mountainous and can be steep by car. My future MIL is afraid of heights, escalators and tall elevators w/ a view. Will she be able to handle it? Also, besides the flowers and scenic view, what are some things we can do? I imagine we'll be going to the many pagoda's.

4) Ba Na Cable car (too touristy?)

5) Beaches in Nha Trang: we'll be staying a few days in Nha trang and I know we'll be laying out on the beaches and swimming.

I'm bummed that this is my first trip to VN and w/o my Vietnamese parents (fiance & in-laws are Irish Americans) so most of the translation will be by me and I can only speak in broken Vietnamese and read mostly food and make out other words. Are there any discrimination against people like me by the locals b/c of it? My friends that are Vietnamese descent that have gone back have been ridiculed by the locals as been too tall, too pale, too fat, can't speak the native tongue fluently, show too much skin, or not enough, etc.

I left most of the planning open rather than plan all the details like our trips to Costa Rica and Mexico.

Thanks for all your help!

vietnam
Destination Expert
for Nha Trang
Level Contributor
6,116 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Viet gal going to VN for 13 days!

In Nha Trang I would book through a local travel agent. See how the weather is and how you are feeling and book the day before. You can PM me for the one I use. Most important think to do is to make sure they understand what you want to see and do. I think most of the complaints etc you see here on tripadvisor comes from the two parties not quite understanding each others wishes. I would rather spend an extra 5 to 10mins sorting it all out the day before rather than having a bad day.

Tustin, CA
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Viet gal going to VN for 13 days!

Thanks Viet1!

Right now I've been saddened and frustrated that I'm going to VN and though I'm a US citizen, I still identify myself as being Vietnamese and feeling like a "stranger" by my own people is frustrating. Not only that, I'm traveling my fiance's parents and friends! (Anyhow, that's a personal issue I have to work through! ;))

I looked up the driving time from Nha Trang to Dalat and it says 2.5 hrs, 182km (or 113 mi). Am I mistaken?

Also, should we fly from Nha Trang to Saigon to get to Hanoi? And from Hanoi take a taxi to Ha Long Bay? Can you PM a travel agency so we can book a tour in Ha Long Bay? I'm wondering if we need to book now (my future in-laws want to book now for the best deal and they say there's limited space) or can we book later when we arrive in Nha Trang?

Thanks again!

vietnam
Destination Expert
for Nha Trang
Level Contributor
6,116 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Viet gal going to VN for 13 days!

Will send you a PM with more details.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
243 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Viet gal going to VN for 13 days!

You can fly from Nha Trang to Hanoi, about 2hrs. Can book a halong bay tour when you get to Nha Trang.

15. Re: Viet gal going to VN for 13 days!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 23, 2015