We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transfer to Ho Chi Min without passport

Which Nha Trang hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
transfer to Ho Chi Min without passport

Hello everyone!

I got robbed in the street, all my money and documents were taken by some guys on motobike.

The thing is, that I need to get to Ho Chi Min somehow for making new documents.

I can't use the plane or train without passport, as I understand, and I'm very afraid of sleeping buses after reading some horrible nightmare experiences.

Is there any opportunity to get a private transfer or a safe taxi, as I'm travelling alone?

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,163 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transfer to Ho Chi Min without passport

You should call your embassy in Hanoi and ask their advice.

Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transfer to Ho Chi Min without passport

I have my embassy in Ho Chi Min, and they told me to take the bus. But I'm trying to find some other way to get there and very interested if someone had any experience of a private transfer by taxi, the cost, etc.

Nha Trang, Khanh...
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transfer to Ho Chi Min without passport

hi,

you can take a train to Saigon without a passport, you should ask the reception where you stay for help.

good luck!

Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transfer to Ho Chi Min without passport

Oh, really?! I thought they somehow check your passport when boarding, this is really good news, thank you! Can you give me a link to vietnam trains site, so I check the schedule. Do they have any fast day trains? Thanks in advance.

The other thing - how can I book a hotel in Ho Chi Min without passport?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transfer to Ho Chi Min without passport

You don't need a passport to take the train, however a hotel will require your passport, or at least a copy thereof. I'm assuming you had the sense to make photocopies of your passport at some point?

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,735 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transfer to Ho Chi Min without passport

Why people will go out with the passport is an absolute mystery.

I always put mine in the hotel safe and take it out when I have to fly home.

From Nha Trang you can take Sinh or Phuong Trang bus in the morning, they are safe.

The train going back is a night one.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: transfer to Ho Chi Min without passport

Not really. A passport is a very personal item (even if the owner of the passport strictly speaking is the government issuing it). If lost, you will incur lots of cost and aggravation. It took me several years to feel comfortable leaving it at the front desk of the small, cheap(ish) hotels I used in Vietnam. Most passport are just carelessly placed in an unlocked drawer.

And the hotels I used to stay in were way below offering a room safety box.

Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: transfer to Ho Chi Min without passport

yes, i have photocopies, so it should be ok, great news!

Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: transfer to Ho Chi Min without passport

it's a kind of a funny and sad story at one time)) usually, i go out without any serious money and passport, of course.Passport is a sacred thing!Always!

And this was the first day of my whole staying in Nha Trang ( i'm here for a month, already), when i went out with a huge somme of money and passport, because I had to go to the bank. It's all my fault, no one ever told me that you can't use western union here to send money, only to receive. So, I was on that day with all my money and passport, but i probably forgot my head at home or that was the baddest karma ever, as a result I have no money, and no passport. Two guys on motobike, ONE SECOND, street magic.....

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,735 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: transfer to Ho Chi Min without passport

Jim, I only stay in cheap places but they all have a safe in room.

CarpeDiem 15$ a day....

I really hate the reception safe, too much traffic around, every time they use a new envelope with signature..very annoying...

A room safe not bolted is more than enough for my stuff....