We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hoi An or Nha Trang? Asked a million times but...

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Hoi An or Nha Trang? Asked a million times but...

I'm going in a group of girls and we're in our mid twenties. We're not looking for any nightlife - mainly to get away from city hustle, have food and do a few tours. We'll be going around New Years as we can't get any time off so we're using the office holiday period. I'm tossing up between Nha Trang and Hoi An.

(1) I've checked the weather for both places... and there isn't much difference between the two but Nha Trang is more southern it might be a tad warmer and less chances of rain. But is it more affected by the tail end of the monsoonal and tidal weather..?

(2) It's cheaper to go Nha Trang in terms of travel and accommodation. What about daily expenses though?

(3) Hoi An has more food variety and attractions in general (that I can find online). What are the main attractions in Nha Trang other than diving etc?

What do you think and suggest I should go for? Plus I'm planning to give three full days to do either location, but not both.

vietnam
Destination Expert
for Nha Trang
Level Contributor
6,026 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hoi An or Nha Trang? Asked a million times but...

I would go for Nha Trang, better food choices and much more to do here than in Hoi an. Price wise there will not be a big difference although there's more cheaper accommodation choices in Nha Trang. Main attractions would be the beaches and islands, 4 island day tour being very popular, theme parks and aquariums, mud-baths, temples, pagodas, shopping and cooking classes. Large choice of restaurants / bars and beauty- spa salons.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hoi An or Nha Trang? Asked a million times but...

Nha Trang is by far less expensive than Hoi An especially if you head a few blocks outside the main tourist area, and as Viet1 says.... a lot more food choices and things to do. There is also white water rafting, waterfalls, country tours by motorcycle to "mainly to get away from city hustle" and other adventure trips. Odds are also more than a tad warmer and around New Years, the city is all prettied up. On the otherhand...... If shopping for gifts, textiles, or more history is your thing, Hoi An is the place. It is certainly a tough desision.

Owee

www.owee58.com

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,800 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hoi An or Nha Trang? Asked a million times but...

The difference is in style. Hoi An is the more relaxed of the two in my opinion, whereas Nha Trang is the more spectacular in terms of nightlife, bars and entertainment. I go to Hoi An because I like it for the culture and great food. To each his own!

I also find NT much too big - I like the village feel to Hoi An.

Edited: 1:00 pm, October 06, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hoi An or Nha Trang? Asked a million times but...

Why not go to Da Nang. Super laid backand great food & drink.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hoi An or Nha Trang? Asked a million times but...

Why not go to Da Nang. Super laid backand great food & drink.Lots of places to stay either on the sea side of the Han River or the City side. The sea side sounds like what you want. Wont cost you alot of $$$ either!

Edited: 7:47 pm, October 06, 2012
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hoi An or Nha Trang? Asked a million times but...

Thanks for all the responses! Will have to make a tough decision

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,666 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hoi An or Nha Trang? Asked a million times but...

Nha trang hands down!

Australia
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hoi An or Nha Trang? Asked a million times but...

I find Hoi An has more charm and a nicer vibe - I find Nha Trang to be a bit soul-less - but that's just my opinion and lots will disagree!

QLD
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hoi An or Nha Trang? Asked a million times but...

Maybe you didn't spend enough time or get away from the backpacker area?^^

Hoi An is manufactured and fake IMHO aimed squarely at the tourist $$ from beach to old town.

Compare that to Nha Trang that has a block or 3 aimed at tourism and the rest of the city is "real".

I am going to Hoi An for 4 days, for no other reason than I have an Australian mate working there, but I am going to Nha Trang for 4 weeks and if I could live there permanently I would.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hoi An or Nha Trang? Asked a million times but...

Do you think Nha Trang is better? The thing is I'm Australian born Vietnamese and I'm worried one of either locations will be too touristy to bring my mates to go see. We're mainly there for the food and I was a tad concerned when I read reviews of top restaurants in Nha Trang being westernised..? Or are all the good places not on TA?